Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigguy225 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Nov 18, 2008, 06:28 PM
    Got a call from a collection agency who was taping my call
    I just got a call from a collection agaency and wanted to gather information about a mastercard debt I owe. I told them that I don't own a mastercard, then they preceded to tell me my ss # and asked me if it was mine. I told them that the ss # was mine and how did they get my ss # since I don't own a mastercard. Then they tried to refresh my memories saying that I got the card in 1998 and made the last payemt in November 2002. I simply said that I don't own a mastercard and have never owned a master card in my life then hung up on them. Isn't the statue of limitation over for this debt? And might they try next?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2008, 07:33 PM

If you didn't have a mastercard or never did - you should have HUNG UP immediately. Why did you verify your SSN to a complete stranger? Good heavens, what else did you confirm to the caller? Better yet, I don't want to know or it will give me nightmares.

Next time someone like this calls you please hang up the phone immediately. Do not engage in conversation with these people. If they call you right back, hang up again. You can tell them to put it in writing and send you a letter but don't volunteer your correct address to send it to.

There are way too many scam artists out there these days who are trolling for information so they can happily help themselves to your monay.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 19, 2008, 08:36 PM

You should never verify your social, now they know it is yours.
    Never give or verify your social over the phone.

As for them to mail you verifiction of the debt, and only do things in writing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection call (statue of limitation) (Ontario Canada) [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Southern Ontario Canada and have the following situation : I have received a collection call about an account closed due to a consumer proposal 4 years ago and they claim my wife's name was on the account for which I don't have any recollection nor papers to show that. In the mean...

Can I not call her? [ 5 Answers ]

I have posted here previously about my relationship with my girlfriend and her inconsistent behavior. We have been off and on the last few weeks, talking about things and trying to make it work. I went to a costume party on Saturday night, while she went out with her girlfriends. I had my phone...

Why doesn't he call me? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok o I started going out with this guy named Brooks on the very last day of school and I am 12 so Its not like I get to see him over the summer. And I gave him my number on the last day of school and he hasn't called me and school ended on Tuesday and its Friday! Every time I call him he doesn't...

When to call it off. [ 10 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been dating now for about six months, and, for the past five months our intimacy has been decreasing... now its practically nil. I'm not out of shape, and he tells me how attractive he finds me and takes me out with his friends, even going so far as to encourage me to dress...

View more questions Search