Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Food poisoning
    My son left for Albany NY Sunday to work with a client and seems to have contracted some food poisoning somewhere along the line, either at a Burger King or a dinner cooked by a colleague where they are staying. Although I doubt the dinner, it was last night, and food poisoning and symptoms would not occur the same night after eating.

I am in healthcare but need a little reassurance and assistance from my colleagues here. He has shivering, diahrrea and vomitting and has lost a l/2 day of work down there. He is fit and healthy and has never been this sick before, it precludes going into a hospital because I can't imagine the cost and OHIP won't cover this in the states (no remarks about this please!).

I just found this out through contacting in e mail (was wondering why he was slow saying hello!).

I advised start drinking plenty of water (the shivering has stopped and that is a good sign). He will go into a pharmacy tomorrow if feeling better.

Any comments from the wonderful people here would be great and thanks\

ms. tickle
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2008, 11:30 AM

Hi Tickle,
    Maybe something like Oral Rehydration Solution will do him good too.
    Lime juice is good too,at least until whatever food effected him leaves his system.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 19, 2008, 03:10 PM

Thanks, firmbeliever, for your kindness in answering. I will pass on the lime juice suggestion, and he is feeling better today (passed out last night at 8 and woke up at 8 this morning), said most of the symptoms have gone except the volatile stomach.

He is working on getting this new IT job under his belt and didn't need the setback down there (we live in Ontario). He is driving back on Saturday, so I will see him before we drives on home to Toronto.

Thank you again :). I am so glad he is feeling better (he is 26), but you probably know 'moms' when they get one their own down for the count.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2008, 08:55 AM

Aw, Tickle,
    5,10,26 or 50... I guess mom's rarely see the difference when one of their own is ill.:)

Hope he is feeling his best soon.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2008, 07:47 PM

I was once food poisoned by shrimp. I was violently ill for two weeks from this. Have him take it easy until whatever he ate gets out of his system. Rest, rest and plenty of fluids and soft easily digestible foods. Now you should know that... or are you just being a dad?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parakeet with lead poisoning? [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: Hey everyone!I'm dealing with a serious situation. I have two parakeets, a girl and a boy. However I never raised parakeets before and I'm concerned because not only have my birds been fighting every five seconds but my girl parakeet turned black the other day and then green again. Also...

Food poisoning, or Food allergy? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello. Greetings first of all. Well, see, on Tuesday morning I felt fine, nothing seemed to be wrong. Went to work at a restaurant, 3 hours cause it's split shift. Came back home and was supposed to go back to work at 5pm. Right around that time I started to feel bloated, and had lots of gas. Then...

Can food poisoning lead to appendicitis? [ 4 Answers ]

Over the long weekend myself, my boyfriend, and several of our friends attended a few barbeques. For the next few days following the last one, four of us developed symptoms that seem to be either a stomach bug or food poisoning. We were leaning towards food poisoning due to the sudden onset of...

Can a tree get lead poisoning? [ 1 Answers ]

I guess I'm maybe the only person who actually likes mulberry trees. I have one on the edge of my property that is turning a sickly yellow color. It has been hit in the trunk in several spots by lead buckshot or birdshot by deranged neighbor. (I purposely grow the trees a little thick on his side...

I am 24 weeks and 4 days pregnant and I think I have food poisoning [ 6 Answers ]

My question is can it effect the baby? Yesterday morning I had 2 breakfast burritos from mcdonalds. When I was eating I told my husband that it tasted funny.. but I figured that it must be because I was a little congested and when I have nasal congestion everything tastes funny, well anyway,...

View more questions Search