Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shep Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2006, 04:07 PM
    No fuel in carb bowl
    I recently obtained a briggs and stratton 20hp riding mower that won't run. Free of course. The original owner said it quit running one day while cutting the yard. I took the carb apart and cleaned it. It was reinstalled and an attempt was made to crank it. When it did not crank, I squirted gas in the carb and it started but went dead. It will run as long as gas is squirted in the carb. The fuel line is clear to the fuel pump at the front of the carb. The fuel pump is square with 4 screws holding it to the carb. After running the engine a few minutes by the squirt method, I pulled the top of the carb off and found no fuel in the bowl. I put a different carb from another mower on it and got the same results, it will only run if gas is introduced in the carb. I believe I have narrowed the problem down to what ever makes the fuel pump work. Is the fuel pump operated by vacuum? What creates the vacuum? That may be my problem. There is 5/16 hose that runs from the rh side of the fuel pump to the block. Is this a vacuum hose that operates the fuel pump?
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf no fuel in bowl.pdf (261.1 KB, 395 views)
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2006, 11:29 PM
    Yeah, it runs off vacumme... Sounds like the pump itself isn't up to par.
    shep Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2006, 09:26 AM
    Where is the vacuum generated from? And how do you repair it?
    rickdb1 Posts: 185, Reputation: 15

Jun 27, 2006, 02:11 PM
    "There is 5/16 hose that runs from the rh side of the fuel pump to the block. Is this a vacuum hose that operates the fuel pump?"

Yes, that is the hose that carries vacuum to operate the pump. The pump operates from vacuum pulses from the engine block when it's running. If you were to run the motor and had that hose disconnected at the block, you would feel vacuum pulses if you put your finger over the hose nipple on the block. The fuel pump has a rubber diaphram inside it that moves back and forth from these pulses and draws in fuel for the carb. Take the pump apart and check it out. They are really very simple. Most lawnmower repair shops will have the pump or parts to repair the pump. Cheap, too... Make sure you have cleaned the carb well. They can be clogged even though they look clean. Make sure the float needle is moving freely(Not sticking) and opening to allow fuel to flow into the bowl. Did you clean all the passages in the carb. With spray carb cleaner and blow them out with compressed air? A carb. Rebuild kit should also be used in conjunction with the cleaning...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fuel smell, Fuel tank leak [ 7 Answers ]

We had a fuel tank leak, how do I get the smell out of our boat? What do you know about a aluminum tank leaking? We have a 1988 Bayliner 34' the tank is located under the back bed, she holds 200 gal, we don't know where the leak is on the tank. We have been told it will be costly to repair, I have...

Low carb diet [ 8 Answers ]

Hi! I've been preparing to go on a low carb diet;but most of the recipes I find that need a flour are calling for all kinds of nut flours eg;almond etc. I'm ALLERGIC to NUTS! Is there any alternative?Got to get off the refined white flour. Thanks Robin

Carb tuning a 12hp Briggs (non-OHV) [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new member who recently purchased a used Montgomery Wards riding mower (serial no.TMC 36937A/K219H). The mower had recently been painted- over red (poorly), so the ser. no. could be slightly off. I am experiencing difficulties in properly tuning the carb (i.e. the governor is kicking in @...

Snowblower Carb Problem? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I have a small Murray Ultra 5 HP, 22" snowblower. I have been a bad boy and have not taken care of it very well, no fuel stabilizer over summer, etc. The problem now, after about 3 years, is that when start, engine does not run smoothly, and will die under load. Also, looks like is firing at...

Nikki carb adjustments [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to adjust a Nikki carb on a kohler command ohv engine? I can't find any screws for this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The engine will only run at full choke. I have ajusted the govenor.

View more questions Search