Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hawkinscpa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2006, 04:02 PM
    401K roll-over question
    I requested that my 401k from my former employer be sent to my 401k at my new employer. The old 401k company mailed the check to me although I had given explicit instructions to send the check to the new 401k company. The check is made payable to "New 401k company FBO 'my name'.

Can this check be re-routed to the new 401k without incurring the penalties\wthholding tax? (i.e. Is this still considered a direct roll-over?) :confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 24, 2006, 04:26 PM
    Yes, as long as the payee is the new company, just being it in and hand it over to the administrator. Even if the funds were sent to you, as long as they were turned over to the new plan within the legal time frame (I forget what that is) it would still be considered a rollover. It doesn't have to be direct.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2006, 08:49 AM
    Hi,
    Please talk with your new employer's Plan Administrator. It might be your Human Resources person, or another.
    They will be able to possibly straighten this out for you. Since the check was made out to how you said, possibly it will not count as a "direct payment" to you. Please ask them.
    Any "roll-over" is usually handled by the new employer, not you directly. Or, if into an IRA, handled by the institution getting the roll-over. Sounds like your old company Plan Administrator people didn't know what they were doing!
    Best of luck.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 25, 2006, 11:38 AM
    My plan had a sixty day window to deposit the funds into another account and they sent the funds directly to me .I would contact the plan administrator for clarification and get that check rolled over pronto!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 25, 2006, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredg
    Hi,
    Please talk with your new employer's Plan Administrator. It might be your Human Resources person, or another.
    They will be able to possibly straighten this out for you. Since the check was made out to how you said, possibly it will not count as a "direct payment" to you. Please ask them.
    Any "roll-over" is usually handled by the new employer, not you directly. Or, if into an IRA, handled by the institution getting the roll-over. Sounds like your old company Plan Administrator people didn't know what they were doing!
    Best of luck.
    Yes, DO consult your new employer's Plan Administrator. When you do, you will find that Fred's advice was not accurate.

I spent several years administering 401K plans. While it is better to do a direct transfer rollover its not absolutely necessary. You have 60 days to rollover the full amount of the distribution into an qualified plan. In other words the money could have been issued directly to you with the 20% withholding. If you deposit the gross proceeds (adding back the 20%), then you have no tax liability. But that's not the case with you.

It is not uncommon to issue the check as you described. Your old Plan Admin was following accepted and legal procedures. FBO means For Benefit Of. As I said, all you need to do is deliver the check to your Plan Administrator. They will accept the check and deposit it in their 401K for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Non-Resident question [ 1 Answers ]

Suppose I will leave US for good this year i.e. Sep 2006. Would it help if I wait a bit and request the entire 401k distribution on Jan 1 2007 instead of i.e. Sep 2006? I am 30 years old, H1B, and earn about 100K/Yr. My 401K balance is about 40K. I am thinking that I will not have W-2 or other...

401K Question [ 3 Answers ]

These questions deal with a 48 year old man, married to a 40 year old lady. I understand that cashing out 401K attracts a penalty of 10% and income tax of 20% if cashed before one is 59.5 yrs. Is this correct? Secondly, if one is short of cash and decides to cash out before they are 59.5 yrs, can...

401K - to roll or cash [ 1 Answers ]

When I received notification of my QDRO back in 2000 I chose to put it into a 401K with the option (so I thought) of receiving a monthly payment once I reached a certain age. But not being 100% sure, I called the Benefits Office earlier this week and found out that I can 'cash it in' or roll it...

401K Question [ 1 Answers ]

I left the employ of a company that I had a 401K through and cashed it out. They withheld 25% for taxes... How/where do I claim this on my 1040 this year?

401K Penalty and Tax Question [ 4 Answers ]

Last year when I left my job I took my 401K money in the amount of $9850. I realize I have to pay taxes on this in the amount of $1174 (from tax table) and a penalty (I am unsure of the amount). (Is this penalty after tax?) I have listed this on my 1040A line 11a as an "IRA Distribution" (this was...

View more questions Search