Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sherif0528 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 01:03 PM
    Prorating Rent when on a month to month basis
    I am trying to get a pro-rated amount back from a landlord since I was on a month to month basis and gave over 30 day notice to vacate. The pro-rated my rent at the beginning of the lease. I paid the last month in full on good faith and only stayed 10 days of the beginning of the month.

Should they have to pay me back for the unused days?

Sherry:confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 18, 2008, 01:13 PM
    That depends on the laws in your area. In many states the landlords are not required to prorate unless they can fill the tenancy before the end of the rental period. If you gave ntoice but you stayed 10 days beyond your move date, then you impacted the landlord's ability to rent the unit for the entire month. You may even have cost him a tenant because they were not able to move in when anticipated.

I moved your post to the Real Estate law forum. I have to ask why you originally posted in the Forum Help area. To get there you had to scroll past this forum. You also had to ignore warnings to only use the forum Help area for questions about using the site.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2008, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sherif0528 View Post
    I am trying to get a pro-rated amount back from a landlord since I was on a month to month basis and gave over 30 day notice to vacate. The pro-rated my rent at the beginning of the lease. I paid the last month in full on good faith and only stayed 10 days of the beginning of the month.

What State? In NY if you are there 1 day into the next month, you owe the entire month's rent. The Courts do not expect the landlord to go without that month's rent because the new tenant couldn't take occupancy as of the 1st.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sherif0528 View Post

This is all a bit confusing. If you were a month to month tenant, why did you pay rent in advance? Why not just sign a lease?

I'm going to need a bit more clarification on this. Are you saying, for example, you told your landlord on October 10th that you would be moving, and then moved out on November 10th after paying rent for the entire month of November?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Month to Month Lease with rent increase [ 7 Answers ]

Hi... what is the law concerning month to month apartment rentals? I have been living at my place for over a year, and my lease expired June '08. Since I have been on a month to month. The past few months, I have been paying my rent late; but it's always been paid in full including the...

I have a tenant on a month-to-month basis I want out. How soon can I do this? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a renter whom I want out for several reasons. This is a property which I own. She was on a 6 month lease. It expired 2 months ago, and is there month-to-month. It was in the original agreement that I pay the utilities. She just run them up with no regard of the cost to me. I told her Sept...

Is it common to have a 2 month notice to vacate on a month to month lease? [ 2 Answers ]

Can my landlord require me to give a 2 months notice to vacate even though my lease is month to month? It was in the lease which was originally a 1 year lease which after the year, change to month to month. I can see giving 60 days with the year lease, but not on a month to month.

Prorating a month to month lease [ 3 Answers ]

I am a landlord in New Jersey, I rented my apartment for a year then it turned into a month to month lease, the tenant told me about three months ago that he would initially be leaving in June but since he was looking to buy a house and it took longer than expected it turns out he will be...

View more questions Search