Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    runner53 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Hi all! My last questions was answered so fast and was so helpful I just had to ask another... I recently had my tub reglazed. One of the reasons for doing so was a small amunt of worn/rust that was on one side of the drain. I replaced the flange and have found that it does not seem to go quite as far down as the old one (which I have already discarded). It seems to hit the side of the tub, thus preventing it from going further down. The result is a VERY small amount of water that seems to pool up. In fact, it probably did the same with the old one, which is what caused the rust (after 30 years). However, this new flange must be a bit wider because it definitely covers more of the around around the drain. It's 2 3/4 " wide. Could the older one have been smaller in width? Are smaller ones till around? The flange sits horizontal on the tub bottom and screwed in with a fair amount of effort, which would eliminate the change that I crossed the threads. Had I done that, I'm sure it would have been a bigger battle screwing it in.
    I used plumbers putty. It doesn't look bad, but if a smaller flange is available I'd use it. Thanks.

I should add that the new flange is only about 1/8 inch higher than the bottom of the tub. (It won't go down further because of the curvature at the bottom of the tub wall.)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 07:08 PM

Different manufacturers make drains slightly differently. They may all fit the hole but may sit different. No brand I know is smaller than the others, you have to eyeball several at a large supply house. You may not see a big enough variety at Home Depot so try a plumbers supply shop.

Nov 18, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Thank you very much. I appreciate it.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 08:37 PM

Buy cheap, new overflow assembly. Don't get the "Touch Down" overflow. It has thick flange. Remove the cheap flange and install it. You can discard rest of the drain in the box. Use tool specifically made for this installation so you don't strip the ribs on the inside and also so you are able to screw it in as much as you need. The cheap flange will cave in a bit and will copy contour of the drain inlet.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 19, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Buy cheap, new overflow assembly. Don't get the "Touch Down" overflow. It has thick flange. Remove the cheap flange and install it. You can discard rest of the drain in the box. Use tool specifically made for this installation so you don't strip the ribs on the inside and also so you are able to screw it in as much as you need. The cheap flange will cave in a bit and will copy contour of the drain inlet.
    This is the tool,(tub Wrench) that Milo's referring to.(see image) Good luck, Tom

Nov 19, 2008, 08:43 AM

I don't see the image you are referring to. However, it is the typical wrench that I used to remove the old one and install the new one, I know what it is is. It's a kind of tube-like thing that goes into the drain and between the "cross hairs"? A cheap one that will contour makes sense. I now have 3 options: leave it, find a supllier that has a slightly smaller one, or get a flexible one. THANK YOU BOTH!
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2008, 09:06 AM

I am sure this is the wrench that Milo and Tom is referring to, Good Luck.

John
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Nov 19, 2008, 07:38 PM

Yes, there are few of them on market. This is the tool I was talking about. It is an excellent tool:
    Attached Images

Nov 20, 2008, 07:34 PM

Thanks again everyone!

So far I've struck out finding a flange that is a bit smaller in diameter than 2 3/4". On a local plumbers advice, I called an area supplier. The plumber said that if anyone would have it, they would. Well, they had nothing and new of nothing. He said that years ago some flanges were a bit smaller, but he had no suggestions on finding one. I'll see if I can find one like Milo described. I'll also keep on surfin'.
    I did some measuring. The plumbers putty is slightly less than 1/8" on the inside, and of course it tapers to nothing on the wall side. An eighth of an inich doesn't seem like much, but I'm curious... Do you think I'm better off using caulk? You guys are awesome. Thanks.

Nov 26, 2008, 01:48 PM

Runner, any chance you can post a picture for us?

Nov 26, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Ballengerb1, I should be able to handle that. Please keep an eye out. Thanks

Nov 26, 2008, 03:58 PM

Every time a new post is attached to this one Milo, Tom, John and I are all notified so someone will be here.

Nov 28, 2008, 01:31 PM
    Here's a few photos. One is of the drain with the ring of water around it, another when it is dry. At its highest, the flange sits up slightly less than 1/8". Thanks again.
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Nov 28, 2008, 11:35 PM

You have "Touch Down" drain. Yes, most of them are thicker but there are few manufacturers who make them thinner. You have to look for them. If HD or Lowe's don't have them, than go to smaller, local, stores.

Other wise, you will have to replace entire overflow assembly.

Nov 29, 2008, 11:40 AM

Thanks. I'm not sure I like the sound of replacing the assembly. However, the wall next to it is a closet. Can a good plumber get to it if there is wall access?

Nov 30, 2008, 08:49 PM

Runner, thanks for the pics, never seen one with this much thickness to it. We call this type of drain a toe touch. I see no solution to your issue off the top of my flat head. I'd have to replace if it were me.

Dec 1, 2008, 03:59 PM

The close-up photo is a bit misleading and makes it look a lot more than 1/8". I still haven't been able to find a supllier with a smaller one. None of you said that 1/8" of plumbers putty is a good idea, so I guess I'll call a plumber to come in and adjust the assembly to get it to line up better. I hope he/she can get at it from the adjoining closet. The garage wall is below it. Any thoughts? Thanks all.

Dec 1, 2008, 05:52 PM

I serouusly doubt that this can be made better. I'd let the plumber install a new drain and tear into the garage wall.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 06:32 PM

Looks like you could tighten the strainer until all of the putty squeezes out. The strainer isn't centered on the opening. Tightening it will center it.(unless the reglaze is very poorly done, or the strainer is cross threaded making it near impossible to tighten any further. This just doesn't look like a flange problem to me, It looks like an install problem. There should be no visible putty once the flange is tightened down suffficiently.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathtub slow drain (used to drain OK!) [ 15 Answers ]

First, Hello to everyone and thanks in advance for any help. My bathtub used to drain properly (I think.) but not fast IIRC. I've done some searching around the site and found a few good ideas. So according to some suggestions, I've done the following. Unscrewed and remove the overflow...

Pop up bathtub drain [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone know how to remove a pop up drain in a bathtub. I need to remove it so that I can snake the drain. Thanks

Separate flange from drain [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to install a new drain to a bathroom sink. The old one stunk, the stopper would not function easily, and was marked from numerous plumbing emergencies over 30 years. I've got the pivot rod off, the tailpiece disconnected and out of the way, the lock nut is loose. I can't get the...

Flange over drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

How do I remove the flange from the toilet drain pipe? Thank you Mary

Pvc drain flange [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm remodeling a shower and after putting in the shower I realized I forgot to use the fiber gasket.Do I have to rip the shower back out?:o

View more questions Search