Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uhhleesha Posts: 105, Reputation: 21

Nov 18, 2008, 11:21 AM
    New Puppy, not eating much, and soft stools.
    Hi! I haven't posted in awhile, but I still lurk. :]

But, on the topic I have a new puppy, Odin. He's a maltese poodle mix. My friend couldn't keep her puppy, so I've taken him in. He's about 12 or 13 weeks this Friday {nov 21} she couldn't remember when I asked her.

In the mornings, I take him out to potty. Then, we come back in and I'll have a snack, feed him, change his water, then shower. Except, he doesn't really eat or drink. He doesn't seem to eat unless I'm around, so I've moved his bowls in my room where I spent most of my day. On top of this, his stools are soft. He basically has diarrhea, and I'm worried if it's because of his lack of appetite. I'm assuming lack of food, means lack of fibre, which leads of soft stools.

He already has his first set of shots, so I'm assuming that he's healthy. I'm sure the vet would have noticed any abnormalities.

What do you think?
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Nov 18, 2008, 11:27 AM

When was he last taken to the vet? By the age of 12 to 13 weeks he should have already received all of his shots. One shot does not in any way guarantee that your puppy will not get sick. It would be a good idea to continue the shots as soon as possible. What was your friend feeding him? It could be caused by a sudden change in diet if he was not gradually switched over to a different brand of food.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Yes a sudden switch of food can cause soft stools. So can some parasites. It is best to have the vet check a stool sample. I wouldn't worry about the light eating unless it gets to where the ribs are showing.

Nov 18, 2008, 12:23 PM

She waited forever to take him to the vet. It wasn't just one shot it was his first round. On 11/11 he had adveno virus 2, parainfluenza, paro virus, and corona virus. I go back Dec 2 for fecal exam, DPC booster, deworm, and rabies. That's what it says on the card.

Now that I think about it, I'm not giving him anything for worms. Does he have worms, or is that standard?

His diet is the same. She gave me a sandwich bag of Science Diet small bites, and I'm still using that bag 'till I run out. Which feels like it'll be a month at this rate.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Nov 18, 2008, 12:51 PM

If you plan on switching him, I would suggest not waiting until you run out. Get the new food while you still have some of the old left, and mix it together, slowly decresing the old and new ratio, or else you will probably have a puppy with worse diahhrea then you have now. Did the vet check him for worms at the last appointment?

Nov 18, 2008, 01:19 PM

I'm not planning on switching him.

I really have no idea. I wasn't there. The previous owner took him.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2008, 01:23 PM

Can you take him to the vet sooner than dec. 2? Maybe he does have worms or something else?

Nov 18, 2008, 11:20 PM

Does it sound like he has worms? :[ I'd imagine with worms he'd have a huge appetite.

I'll probably take him Thursday.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy not eating [ 1 Answers ]

:(Hi, I have a pekingese puppy she's 1 years old for about 1 week now she has stopped eating & vomits her bodily fluids. Could this be due to heart worms? I just got her & I have not taken her to a vet.

What is the difference of chemistry in diet soft drink and regular soft drinks [ 1 Answers ]

We have to make a vidoe of this for school and we are stuck. What is the difference of chemistry in diet soft drink and regular soft drinks?

Blood and mucus in puppy stools [ 1 Answers ]

My 8 week old puppy has had 2 stools that were loose and had blood and mucus in them, is this parasites?:confused:

Six mth old puppy has slimey stools :/ [ 1 Answers ]

I took my puppy to a dog park earlier in the day and he stopped to do his business and I bent over to pick up his stools in the doggy bag and recoil in horror:eek:... his poop has a slimey greenish-yellow film over it. Anyone know what can cause this and should I call the vet and reschedule his...

My puppy eating [ 1 Answers ]

12/9/06 adopted a lab/hound mix 8 weeks puppy. Came home was eating and drinking fine, but today she is not eating. She seems to be playful and is doing her duties but is not eating. Is this something I should be worried about? Your answer is much appreciated.

View more questions Search