Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheBugsLife Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Nov 18, 2008, 11:18 AM
    How can we get his last name changed ?
    Im about to get married and my boyfriend wants to change his name to his stepfathers last name ( his real father has never been a part of his life and doesn't want to carry his name ) and his step father has been there every step of his life started as a child. I have found many many ways to change my name after the wedding but how do we go about getting his changed to his step fathers??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 11:40 AM

Ok, your adult boyfriend wants to change his last name before you are married , correct.

He goes to the court house, and does a form, easy, not very costly.
    mr206 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Nov 18, 2008, 12:59 PM

First off, it really depends on where you live.

But typically, you do the name change through the state or county court system. There is a specific motion for name change and, for example, it's $200 or so to complete (here in Washington State).

But again, it all depends on where you live as different states do it differently.
    dmf32835 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 06:54 PM

That's easy. Just download your state's compliant name change forms then follow the instructions included with the forms to file it. The first form you will need to file is a petition which asks the court to grant you permission to legally change your name. After you filed the petition then you file the 'order' form. This form state's the exact name you want to have, and after you file you will then need to attend one hearing at the courthouse. That's the entire process.

Nov 18, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Check with your local courts before you pay a website like the one he posted... many courts, like the WA State courts, offer 'family court' forms for free, so you can download all the forms you need from start to finish for free.
    TheBugsLife Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Nov 18, 2008, 08:39 PM

How long will the process take ? Roughly... we would like to make it a wedding gift to his dad. And just in case for those who are wondering we are in our late 20's

Nov 19, 2008, 07:55 AM

Again, that really depends on where you live.

For example, here in WA, you file with the District Court in your county and have a court date assigned where you present the case to a judge; that could be 1 week, it could be 1 month. Once the judge approves it, the paperwork is filed with the Department of Health, but the second the judge approves it, it becomes effective.

If you let us know what City, County and state you live in, we may be able to get better specifics.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dmf32835 View Post
    That's easy. Just download your state's compliant name change forms then follow the instructions included with the forms to file it. The first form you will need to file is a petition which asks the court to grant you permission to legally change your name. After you filed the petition then you file the 'order' form. This form state's the exact name you want to have, and after you file you will then need to attend one hearing at the courthouse. That's the entire process.

Why would anyone pay for forms they can pick up for free at the local Courthouse?

Nov 19, 2008, 06:38 PM

EXACTLY my point in my post. But some courthouses make you pay for copies... still, it's a few cents per sheet, instead of $1.95 for each one. If you can download the forms, do it... get 'em for free :D
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr206 View Post
    Again, that really depends on where you live.

For example, here in WA, you file with the District Court in your county and have a court date assigned where you present the case to a judge; that could be 1 week, it could be 1 month. Once the judge approves it, the paperwork is filed with the Department of Health, but the second the judge approves it, it becomes effective.

If you let us know what City, County and state you live in, we may be able to get better specifics.

It doesn't have to published with a waiting period following, in WA - ?

Nov 20, 2008, 11:08 AM

Not to my knowledge. All court documents and info from the state elude to the process being immediate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

He has changed. [ 77 Answers ]

Hello. My name is theresa I am 20 years old. My boyfriend and I have been dating online for a little over a year now. I had just recently moved here on the first of July 07. I am now living with him and his wonderfully sweet caring family. I am blessed to know such good people. Anyway I feel...

Changed boyfriend [ 4 Answers ]

Well, I am 19 years old and I just started dating my good friend of two years who is 22. He lives right next door to me and the problem is that before we started going out, only he had feelings for me and I just liked him as a friend. And now since we started going out he has changed completely. ...

Getting Last Name Changed [ 1 Answers ]

How would I go about getting my babies last name changed:mad::mad:

F1 OPT to H1 - Changed companies, Changed States [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My situation is as follows: OPT with company 1 in Texas from Dec 10 2006 - September 30 2007 H1 with company 1 in Texas from Oct 1 2007 - Nov 15 2007 H1 with company 2 in Maryland from Nov 15 2007 till date. What tax forms do I fill? I also have state tax from company 2 since that...

View more questions Search