Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimnnancy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Is an alien authorized to sit on a jury?
    A Brazilian national lived with us for two years as an exchange student, during which time she turned 18 years of age. She has since returned to Brazil and attends university there. She will, however, come back to the States in December to work as an intern over her school's summer vacation.

Recently we received a jury summons addressed to her. We didn't do anything about it and, obviously, she didn't appear at the courthouse as a potential juror. Since we have learned that she will be coming back to the US we are somewhat concerned that there may be a contempt of court charge facing her.

What's the law here (Colorado Springs, CO) and should we do anything on her behalf?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 12:09 PM

Well what you needed to do was contact the court when you got the summons,

I would go down to the court to be sure there is no problems.
    mr206 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Nov 18, 2008, 12:57 PM

In CO, you can be chosen for Jury Duty if you do one of the following:

- Pay taxes, both employment and property
    - Obtain a driver's license
    - Register to vote
    - Register a vehicle

If she didn't do any of those things, she should not have ever received a summons. The first place to start is the Jury Commissioner in CO Springs... Jury Commissioner's Office

Specifically for Co Springs, there could have been a 'Show Cause' order made, which is where the summonee is made party in a case to present themselves in front of a judge to explain why they did not appear. You may or may not have received that Show Cause summons by now, so you should contact the Jury Commissioner's office (or she should) and explain the situation: 719-385-5926

You can also talk to the court directly... Colorado Springs Municipal Court

Hope that helps!
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jimnnancy View Post
    A Brazilian national lived with us for two years as an exchange student, during which time she turned 18 years of age. She has since returned to Brazil and attends university there. She will, however, come back to the States in December to work as an intern over her school's summer vacation.

Recently we received a jury summons addressed to her. We didn't do anything about it and, obviously, she didn't appear at the courthouse as a potential juror. Since we have learned that she will be coming back to the US we are somewhat concerned that there may be a contempt of court charge facing her.

What's the law here (Colorado Springs, CO) and should we do anything on her behalf?
    This is a mistake and there are many of these up to this day. Only US citizens are eligible for jury duty. What you should do when you received the notice is call that number specified in the notice and tell them that
    1. She is no longer there.. and
    2. She is not a US citizen.

Since it has been quite sometimes, what you should do now is send a letter explaining the 2 reasons above and return the document.
    mr206 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Nov 18, 2008, 02:57 PM

Duh... that's right... you have to be a citizen. I'm intrigued now to know how someone on a visa got a jury summons...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jury Duty [ 17 Answers ]

I have researched various web sites about avoiding jury duty and many said that judges can be jerks when it comes to dismissing jurors even when they have a valid excuse such as loss of income of health reasons. Most sites said the best way to avoid it is to simply throw away your summons because...

Conviction and jury duty [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. In 1996 I was charged in NY City with a misdemeanor but pled guilty to a violation, a non-criminal conviction. In 2002 I served jury selection for 2 days. During selection for a criminal case the person handling the selection of jurors told us that if anyone has an "issue" with ever having...

Resident alien married to Nonresident alien- 1040 details [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a straightforward question: I am a resident alien who is married to a nonresident alien. We have one child who is my dependent. I will be filing as head of household and will claim an exemption for my wife (she does not work) and for my child. Do I still need to write my wife's...

Jury Duty [ 5 Answers ]

I am breast feeding single mother, I work 3 days a week(freelancer). I have to work to provide for me and a baby, I pay babysitter when working. -How do I get out of Jury duty and be truthful?

Grand Jury [ 1 Answers ]

What happens after you are indited by the grand jury?

View more questions Search