Jun 24, 2006, 08:47 AM
    Sensitive or Insensitive?
    What do you consider yourself to be?

What do you consider others in general?

Which is worse?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 24, 2006, 09:01 AM
    I am sensitive... it was hard to handle at first. I took many many hits over it too. My ovebearing, aggressively mean, dysfunctional dad would always say "You're too sensitive blah blah blah" followed by that old thing about "if you cry, I'll give you something to really cry over".

I was listening to Jethro Tull a lot in those days (this will date me, ha ha!). So one day when I was caught again in one of those conversations I suggested to him that perhaps it really wasn't a case of my being overly sensitive as much as his being "thick as a brick". :eek:

For once he was speechless and never called me that again. :p

I believe sensitive is better but it has taken me many many efforts to learn how to handle it. Culturally we are thoughtlessly teaching people to deny it and not how to handle their sensitivity. I do what I can here at AMHD though. I am not any less sensitive today as I ever was despite how many advised that I become less sensitive. My response to that today is "Hell no!" But I am more able to self protect and handle what hits I do take.

As for others I think like an old dial soap commercial...
    "You use Dial....don't you wish everyone did!" ;)

Its undeniable to me that the world would be a better place is others were more sensitve too. But its going to take better lessons on how to handle it! There is a book out on it called "Emotional Intelligence - Why It Can Matter More Than IQ" but more needs to be written too.

Clearly a favourite topic for me... THANK YOU for a great post. :)
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 24, 2006, 09:20 AM
    One of my supervisors of days gone by told me after I was talked down to by someone else for no reason other than to make themselves feel good, that I was "too sensitive". I replied "Better than being insensitive".
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jun 24, 2006, 11:52 AM
    I too think I am sensitive. Actually, I know I am. I was told by someone that I have the gift of discernment. I thought to be a great quality. I think you have to be sensitive to be able to put yourself in someone else's shoes and try to relate to them.

It's funny how you ask which one is better. My husband and I are complete opposites in this matter. This can cause troubles. I don't think being "think as a brick" (thank you for that) benefits anyone. I think it closes you off emotionally from so many opportunities. Opportunities to share your life with people you might learn something from. I guess if you are that thick skinned you probably don't care.

I try to teach our children to be sensitive to other's feelings and opinions. They don't always have to agree but they should be aware of how they affect others. My children in turn of course think everyone else is thinking of them too and sometimes take things the wrong way. They should also be aware of themselves. I think if you are aware of who you are, you can offer more to others. This will allow you to act according to you and your beliefs much more easily if given a chance. I don't want my children to be self-centered.

I guess it's not good to be overly sensitive. Who really is the judge though. To one, something is worth getting worked up over and to another, not so much.

This is a very interesting question shunned.

Jun 24, 2006, 12:27 PM
    The classic one I like is "Don't take this personal"... LOL. I got news for everyone on the planet: It's all personal... because we are all people! The funny thing I notice is that its usually said just before someone really hurts you. Lately I've taken to answering back: "Okay, so when I carelessly devastate you, don't be upset either, deal?" :rolleyes:

There is telling the truth (which should be taken personal, by the way otherwise its fairly worthless) and there is being brutally honest. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know the difference.

PS - I think we've made it close to impossible for the insensitive to check in here and tell us how wonderful their lives are giving only a tse tse fly's teaspoon of care about others feelings. LOL.

Jun 24, 2006, 12:36 PM
    LOL... so true Val. I also like the one where they say "don't let your feelings get in the way". I am a feeling person.

As for the brutally honest people, what about being honest but still using tact? My sister-in-law is great for that. Is there any wonder she has no friends.

I think to go back to shunned question of which one do you think most people are, I would have to say... somewhere in the middle. I meet so many different people that until you really get to know them you don't actually know. In the beginning, I think most people come across as insensitive in the beginning. Most people have their guard up. No one wants to be taken advantage of or whatever.

I agree Val, the insensitive may have a hard time here, but I would love to hear their views.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2006, 12:38 PM
    I am sensitive.

Many others I find insensitive.

I would rather be sensitive then insensitive.

If others do not like it, what can we do. They are to insensitive to understand it and do not feel comfortable around people who are.

That is the jist of it.

Joe
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2006, 12:44 PM
    Hi,
    I try my best to be sensitive to others needs and to other people I meet, face to face.
    Insensitivity is the worst!!
    "Not giving a xxxx" about anything or anyone really shows bad attitudes and bad character; results? Someone who finds others don't even want to be around them, but most of the time, they don't care.
    Being sensitive means to listen, sympathize with others, and offer helpful suggestions when asked.
    Even if one just listens, lets another "pour out" their feelings, it helps them to talk about it. I really get a good feeling when I've listened to someone else, and try to help. That's what friends are for. That's what the human race should be for; but unfortunately, not all agree.
    Best wishes.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jun 24, 2006, 01:18 PM
    I'm an insensitive biotch.. Or so I've been told :S
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2006, 02:40 PM
    I'm think I'm generally a sensitive person, and so is my husband, but we both have our limits. I have certain personal "boundaries" which, if people deliberately cross, I stop being sensitive pretty quickly. I guess what I mean is, I am sensitive to others and their needs, but as soon as I feel taken advantage of at all, I will defend myself and/or back off, become unavailable, etc.

Both of us need to work on being too sensitive and too helpful, actually. I seem to be the strong, stable friend all the time, but it's to the point where sometimes my friends rely on me too much. My husband is very sensitive with his patients, but he's still learning to "let go" of them. If a patient is suicidal or otherwise in trouble, my husband worries so much that he practically makes himself sick. My father is the same way. He actually had to quit his private psychiatry practice because he cared TOO much for his patients.

I think being sensitive is better than being insensitive, but there should be a balance between being sensitive and taking care of your own needs at the same time. You need to be sensitive to yourself as well.
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 24, 2006, 03:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    I got news for everyone on the planet: It's all personal... because we are all people!
    Well put. :)

Jun 24, 2006, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy69
    I'm an insensitive biotch.. Or so I've been told :S
    Wait... Stormy...
    Is that what you really think you are?
    Is it better or worse than being sensitive?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 24, 2006, 06:16 PM
    I am very sensitive and I sometimes hide it with humor or an- I don't give a damn attitude- because there are a lot of really insensitive boobs out there who would bring you down just because they can! I don't really like insensitive people at all so I can understand where you come from shunned and I don't take anything personal anymore. It is my world and you need an invitation to get in:cool: ;)

Jun 24, 2006, 10:44 PM
    LOL... I think boundaries and balancing are needed. Every situation is different and requires you to be different. The need to protect one's self is important. Getting burned is never fun.

Jun 25, 2006, 04:40 AM
    I have come to learn (and live) so that sensitive does not mean the following: doormat, needy, insecure, low self esteem, weak, or wishy washy or that you'll turn into Barney Fife! LOL

Sensitivity, when coupled with the ability to tell the truth (especially your personal truth such as warning others when they have done something uncool to you,. boundaries like Chava said), can be a very powerful combination. It means you can gain many different kinds of people's trust and respect both, and that usually means you are getting their cooperation too.

Without sensitivity, its too easy to fall prey to denial. Out of embarrassment or an unwillingness to own your vulnerability, you deny that you feel hurt or confused or miffed. Then all that telling of the truth tends to be one-sided such as "Oh I'll look at and talk about Your stuff but not Mine"... which is just another form of arrogance to me.

Sensitivity is what keeps me in tune with me, which allows me to better understand y'all since FRANKLY we are all much more alike than we are different. It really supports my humanity so there isn't a single person on this earth I can't relate to in some way or another. :p
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 25, 2006, 05:28 AM
    We all need somebody,if for nothing else just to vent, or tell us- are you crazy?

Jun 25, 2006, 08:20 AM
    I think it takes a very strong person to be sensitive.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jun 25, 2006, 11:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    I am very sensitive and I sometimes hide it with humor or an- I don't give a damn attitude- because there are a lot of really insensitive boobs out there who would bring you down just because they can! I don't really like insensitive people at all so I can understand where you come from shunned and I don't take anything personal anymore. It is my world and you need an invitation to get in:cool: ;)
    My sentiments EXACTLY! I've been called insensitive because I often have to hide how sensitive I really am behind my very dry and morbid sense of humor.
    I am the type of person who wears my feelings on my sleeve. You can't be a health care professional and be insensitive( unless you are a Paramedic) LOL!
    colornpencil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2010, 12:02 AM
    I know I am sensitive even my family will always tell me that I am so sensitive and had a gift of discernment too... But when I got into a relationship just recently, I just feel so frustrated that I always make him feel that I am insensitive. To cite an example, he was in the office and he told me that he's not feeling okay (prior to that we had a little misundertanding) and then I asked him if I was the reason because I feel so guilty... and he went on saying that he was so sad that I didn't even ask him how does he feel or if he is okay... and all I wanted to know is if if I was the reason.. I felt bad about myself... and things got blown out of proportion. Now I don't know if I am really sensitive or just so stupid not being able to ask the right questions. But I know that I care for him more than anything. :-(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dry sensitive skin.. Help! [ 10 Answers ]

I have really really sensitive and dry skin.I use vitamin e oil as a moisturizer,but sometimes I just want a cream that lasts at least 8 hours,but I have not found that yet.Any suggestions?! (not to mention that I have eczema too!)

View more questions Search