Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Jun 24, 2006, 08:11 AM
    Access to SMTP
    Where, in windows, can I locate where the users default SMTP (email) server info is stored? I know that Windows selects a default mail app (e.g. OE), but somewhere - hopefully accessible, is the SMTP and POP server info..

Anyone?

Thanks in advance!

David
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2006, 05:07 AM
    I believe this is all done to the application. For example, it appears my mail client Thunderbird stores the details at:

C:\Documents and Settings\<XP_Profile_Name>\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\<Profile>\signons.txt

Other apps would obviously store their details in different places but C:\Documents and Settings\<XP_Profile_Name>\Application Data\ is a good place to start looking. Just type "%APPDATA%" into Start >> Run for a shortcut to that directory.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2006, 05:36 AM
    I agree with the above post. SMTP server info in stored with the specific local mail app you are using. There is no default SMTP info in Windows.

Jun 26, 2006, 10:05 AM
    I am looking for where WINDOWS stores the information. I do not want the solution to be dependent on the users default mail application..

D
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 26, 2006, 10:27 AM
    The point LT and NK made is that Windows does NOT store the info. Mail is sent out using a mail client. It's that mail client that stores the info.

Jun 26, 2006, 11:55 AM
    In IE, there is a mail icon. In addition, there is also the "Send a Link" & "Send a Page" under File options, which instructs windows to pass the mail request to the default mail app... Somewhere, this email info is stored for windows to access.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    The point LT and NK made is that Windows does NOT store the info. Mail is sent out using a mail client. Its that mail client that stores the info.
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jun 26, 2006, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Press2Esc
    In IE, there is a mail icon. In addition, there is also the "Send a Link" & "Send a Page" under File options, which instructs windows to pass the mail request to the default mail app... Somewhere, this email info is stored for windows to access.
    No, it's not. IE passes the info to the default mail program, and that mail program handles it from there. How that mail program is configured is not stored as a part of Windows, but as the configuration for the default mail program.

When you said that the link "instructs windows to pass the mail request to the default mail app" that exactly what happens. All Windows needs to know is what the default mail program is, then it passes the info.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2006, 12:12 PM
    Maybe this Lee?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299853/en-us

Or these?
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/network.htm

Jul 10, 2006, 10:19 AM
    Very nice Karma... I am making progress - thanks!

P2E

Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    jc105 Posts: 162, Reputation: 17

Jul 17, 2006, 11:40 AM
    The mail client handles the incoming and outgoing servers.

As a note some ISP (Optimum in particular) only lets you use their smtp server (mail.optonline.net). All other smtp traffic is blocked.

Jul 17, 2006, 01:04 PM
    Yep, in efforts to try and reduce spam, many of the us isp's block port 25 for residential customers.

P2E

Quote Originally Posted by jc105
    The mail client handles the incoming and outgoing servers.

As a note some ISP (Optimum in particular) only lets you use their smtp server (mail.optonline.net). All other smtp traffic is blocked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to configure free pop3 and smtp in outlook express through yahoo.com [ 4 Answers ]

Hi guys, Please help me out how to configure the outlook express (free pop3 and smtp) through yahoo.com Regards vijay :confused:

Problems with pop3 and smtp [ 2 Answers ]

Basically, I haven't got a clue about this, all I want to do is send an error report but don't know how to set this stuff up.:confused:

SMTP from anywhere? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I currently have a problem with a remote user who wants to send and receive emails directly to his MS Outlook program. He can access the POP account OK to receive emails, but he cannot send via SMTP. This is caused by his moving onto different ISP's (hotels etc.) for his connection and...

Can't access pop3, Pop3 access not working from my computer [ 1 Answers ]

I have XP SP 2 - Its been about a week since any of my pop3 accounts have worked (Gawab, Gmail, Spymac, Toughguy). The error messages I am receiving on all of my pop3 accounts are similar to : The host 'pop.gawab.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name...

How to setup SMTP with id and pwd login [ 1 Answers ]

How to setup SMTP with id and pwd login... pls help... thks!

View more questions Search