Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jimmy_Jazz Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2008, 09:58 PM
    Marijuana and me
    So I've been smoking for about 5 years and its taken me a while while but I've realized that its something I'm really not interested in continuing. I'm in my second year of college so it crops up quite a bit. Its gotten to the point where I'm considering cutting out all my friends that do smoke. I still like my stoner buddies but they don't seem to understand why I'm no longer interested, in fact when I decline a session they seem insulted and generally make really tough for me to be around them. I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this and how they handled the situation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 10:02 PM

Yes, normally you are going to have to stop hanging out with them, esp if they are making it hard for you.
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

Nov 17, 2008, 10:04 PM
    Well first of all, good for you! Believe me there're always new friends to make and friends that get angry when you make your own decisions aren't the best ones to have anyway.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2008, 09:36 AM

Oddly enough you have found out that you are maturing and able to see the kids at play and don't want to partake anymore with them. Good for you! You'll find other friends to replace the stoned ones shortly. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll find more friends (and better friends, too).
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

Nov 18, 2008, 09:50 AM

I've had the same thing happen. Years and years ago I just did not enjoy the effect anymore and so I just stopped smoking. At first the guys were surprised but eventually they respected the decision. They still smoke everyday and when I go over it's not big deal. I can't believe I'm saying this but my bud's seem a little more mature than these dudes.

Look at it this way, when a person stops smoking some people will be envious and try to poke fun. It represents a coming of age or a dedication to a healthier lifestyle thatsome have a problem seeing because they feel inferior to the person that can resist temptation. This is NOT true for everyone, those that support your decision yet continue to smoke are those that are happy with what they do. Those that pressure you or make fun are those that see something in you they wish they had at this time.

Hope it helps.
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2008, 12:08 PM

From my experience... it was easy to quit when I broke up with my boyfriend that did smoke and met my boyfriend that didn't.

I had been wanting to stop because I was worried about my health. With it always being there, it was hard to quit.

So I do think hanging around people that do smoke is not good if you are trying to quit. Good luck :)
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2008, 03:15 PM

GOOD FOR YOU!

When a drug buddie quits the others feel like they are less than for not quitting,make sense?

They would rather hang out with the familiar,the active users,the rest of the gang,you have shown you are above the influence,way to go.

NOW, move on.

Find the collage kids who don't do this behavior and make new friends,these people will probably be better friends than the last group you were with,and have a better memory of the last,, ummm, month or so.

Hope your serious and don't fall back into the old ways,

KBC
    mikedem7 Posts: 104, Reputation: 13

Nov 18, 2008, 07:58 PM

Make new friends

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chemicals in marijuana [ 11 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me about harmful chemicals supposedly in marijauna?

Marijuana and trying to get pregnant? [ 33 Answers ]

My husband & I are trying to conceive & have been trying for several months. I recently discovered that his once a day drug use could be the cause of why I have not conceived yet. (I've always gotten pregnant without even trying- our the first pregnancy resulted in a mc.) He has stopped using...

Dependent on marijuana. [ 13 Answers ]

Since August 2006 I have been using it daily.always stoned. I act stupid when I'm on it.it no longer feels good, It takes away my personality. Tires me out, and I just can't stop ! I need help.

Marijuana addiction [ 2 Answers ]

Well I'm 16 years, I'm fairly healthy, and I'm doing pretty well in school, I have maintained my regular 70 average. But I started smoking weed last year, and for a while it was once a month, then it was every 2 weeks, then once a week and rolled into every day. I was going through a lot of...

View more questions Search