Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

Nov 17, 2008, 09:11 PM
    I'm a bit obsessed with fish
    I've looked everywhere for answers but I can't seem to find them.

I have a female swordtail fish who I believe is pregnant. She has a dark gravid spot by her bottom and has gotten larger a couple times (I think she might have eaten her babies).

She can swim just fine, but has been acting weird lately. She eats a little but not as much as she used to and sometimes she just sits in the middle of the tank with her fins pinned down looking very unhappy. I've been watching her for a while and she looks healthy to me. Her fins aren't torn and she doesn't seem to have any spots on her.

Is she acting weird because she's pregnant or is she sick?
    i luv fish Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Nov 19, 2008, 01:17 AM
    Well I have a fish and it ied just three days ago and it did float in the middle of the tank just like yours so it might be sick or pregnant. But do you know if she already had her babies cause if she has had them it might be gill fluke.
    Hope I helped :)

Nov 19, 2008, 05:08 PM
    I'm pretty sure she's had them and the gill fluke makes sense. She does look paler and now that I look her gills are more red.

Thank you so much!
    i luv fish Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Nov 19, 2008, 10:12 PM
    Hi I am glad that I helped but my fish died this morning (the 1 with gill fluke) so I would get onto it as fast as possible you can cure it just go up 2 your local aquarium and they should give you some tablets.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2008, 09:15 AM

Clamped fins always means illness. Even if there are no visible signs there could be bacterial internal infections.
    Treating with medication is a good idea.

Nov 21, 2008, 09:19 AM
    I've started treating with anti-bacterial remedy (melafix), aquarium salt, stress coat, and ick/parasite treatment. They look better already, and they're eating more. My swordtail doesn't look 100% healthy but she looks better.

Thanks for the clamped fins comment, I thought it had something to do with the pregnancy.

Nov 23, 2008, 02:04 AM
    Thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I think I got obsessed [ 17 Answers ]

My girlfriend broke up with me two weeks ago, after we were going out for four months, over a text message, and I think the main reason was because I got too involved in her life and she wanted to hang out with her friends more. I got upset when she started hanging out with them instead of me, and...

Obsessed with an ex [ 8 Answers ]

So I am totally obsessed with my ex. Not one hour goes by where I don't think about him. I want hangout with him everyday and never leave. I am so jealous... I don't want to picture him EVER with another girl, the thought makes me cringe every time. I am constantly wondering what he is doing and...

Did he even like me? N am I obsessed? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, not so long ago I met this guy and we got on great. I mean I really liked him but never actually thought I was good enough for him. We went on our first date a week or so later after meeting which was a total cock up. The meal was great but I so badly messed it by not saying much and not...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

Help, I'm obsessed! [ 2 Answers ]

If ANYONE can help me, PLEASE do so! I had braces for seven years. It's been three years since I had them taken off, and it has totally reshaped my mouth. Now, I have very crooked lips. My corners just don't line up anymore. So, for the past three years, needless to say, I have had to "reshape" my...

View more questions Search