Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 06:20 PM
    Which saves more energy, new windows or a new hot water heater?
    What do you think will conserve more energy?

I'm thinking about getting an instant hot water heater. It heats water as you need it and eliminates the need and expense of maintaining a tank-full of hot water. Initially, these are pricey but are supposed to save up to 60% on the heat bill.

My front room has two 4'x 8' picture windows which are double paned. Neither of them opens which I find irritating in warm weather. I love the light but heat is seeping through the glass.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 06:25 PM

Well...

Windows have an R-value of something like 2

New windows(that don't leak cold in or hot out) could save you more in the long run than the water heater,most water heaters are OK on efficiency but they don't run like a furnace either.

What costs you more each winter,the furnace running or the hot water heaters inefficient heating?

Up to you,maybe someone else will pipe in and give opinion.

KBC
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 09:26 PM

A great deal depends on your climate and the hot water usage in the home. KBC is correct, its your judgement since you have not told us the fuel source for either the furnce or water heater. My Rinnai heater will take me 5 years to pay back my initial investment of $1200 using propane. I think you windows will save as much or more fuel and you will feel more comfortable with the windows.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2008, 04:27 PM

Our fuel sourcel for both hot water and heat is gas. We use as little hot water (cold water for clothes and once a week quick wash on the dishwasher) as possible and keep the thermostat set at 66 degrees.

The winter temperatures average 45 in our area with short dips to 20 sometimes. Are the huge windows more of a heat drain? I keep one unobstructed for the plants.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 07:19 PM

Old windows usually aren't thermopane or low E glass so replaceing with high efficiency windows will make a big improvemnet. Also, when you swap out the widows you can seal better than the original install. Window sealants and insulation materials are much, much better than years ago. I'd go for the windows.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Energy requirements for each water phase [ 1 Answers ]

Is energy always required for each phase change?

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

Water heater with energy saver [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a big apartment complex and the apartment pays for water & sewer, our water heater won't allow us to take showers longer than about 15 min. I'm a girl, I need longer showers sometimes... I try to be quick but its just not long enough sometimes.. I know the water heater is big enough,...

View more questions Search