Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paul322 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2008, 01:02 PM
    Are parents responsible for small claims lawsuit against 18 year old child?
    My daughter is being sued in small claims court in N.Y. The person that is suing her claims she damaged his car. Are the parents or the 18 year old daughter responsible for any judgment the plaintiff wins?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 01:19 PM

A 18 year old adult ( they are not a child anymore) is responsible for their own debt.

If this is a car wreck, who was the owner of the car she was driving
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paul322 View Post
    My daughter is being sued in small claims court in N.Y. The person that is suing her claims she damaged his car. Are the parents or the 18 year old daughter responsible for any judgment the plaintiff wins?

As FrChuck said - who was the owner of the car and sometimes the circumstances matter - such as lack of parental supervision was somehow at play.

Are you talking about an auto accident or some other type of damage (such as fire, beating the car with a ballbat - which I, incidentally, have seen between boyfriend/girlfriend), etc.
    mr206 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Nov 18, 2008, 01:02 PM

There are certain circumstances where the parents are jointly responsible.

If the daughter owns the car in her name and the insurance is in her name and the vehicle registration is in her name, then the parents cannot be a party to a lawsuit in the matter.

HOWEVER... if the parents are co-signers, are main policy holders for the insurance or register the car in their name, they can be party (defendants) in a lawsuit for a child over 18.

Keep in mind they are JOINT defendants and not sole defendants.
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2008, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr206 View Post
    There are certain circumstances where the parents are jointly responsible.

If the daughter owns the car in her name and the insurance is in her name and the vehicle registration is in her name, then the parents cannot be a party to a lawsuit in the matter.

HOWEVER... if the parents are co-signers, are main policy holders for the insurance or register the car in their name, they can be party (defendants) in a lawsuit for a child over 18.

Keep in mind they are JOINT defendants and not sole defendants.

I don't know that this is an auto accident - the daughter damaged a car.

What's your take on, say, criminal mischief - if the daughter damaged "a car" by throwing bricks at it?

I see a parental supervision issue but I'm not 100%.

Also, I would think the Defendant will sue everybody and then see how it boils down.
    mr206 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Nov 18, 2008, 01:59 PM

Oooooh.. yea, I read that to be an accident.

Well, tort law is a lot looser than criminal code, so it's very plausible to see parents of a child on a suit, because it's likely suing the kid is like getting blood from a turnip.

Ultimately, an 18 year old is legally responsible for their actions, but if the daughter lived with them, she is still considered a dependent, which would make it possible to add them to the suit. Now, if she lives on her own, any defense attorney worth his salt would get them dropped from the suit, as they would have zero culpability in the matter.
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2008, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr206 View Post
    oooooh.. yea, I read that to be an accident.

Well, tort law is a lot looser than criminal code, so it's very plausible to see parents of a child on a suit, because it's likely suing the kid is like getting blood from a turnip.

Ultimately, an 18 year old is legally responsible for their actions, but if the daughter lived with them, she is still considered a dependant, which would make it possible to add them to the suit. Now, if she lives on her own, any defense attorney worth his salt would get them dropped from the suit, as they would have zero culpability in the matter.

I read it the same way the first time through - I agree with you. In NY it's a shotgun lawsuit approach - shoot at everybody and maybe you'll hit (and collect from) someone.

Thanks for the quick reply -

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

19 Year Old Son Not Being Responsible [ 5 Answers ]

My 19 year old son soon to be 20 in March is driving me crazy. He is good kid (young man), works and attends college. My concern is the older crowd he hangs around and the late nights away from home. He has befriended a group of older co-workers (mid 20's to late 30's) who depends on him in my...

Are you responsible for child support for a child you did not know existed? [ 4 Answers ]

A friend just was served papers to get a blood test for paterity for an 8 yr child he did not know he may have fathered. The next step seems to be back child support depending on results. Any advice on legality.. how long can one wait to notify someone they may have a child?

Do I have a Lawsuit claims? [ 1 Answers ]

I was arrested and incarsarated in Dec of 2006 got bond on the 13th of Jan. Bin going to court for almost a year out on bond. I was arrested in Pa but live in Fl, so while court calls I had to go to Pa and I went to court a few days ago and the judge didn't even go in the 1st charge, I was told...

Separated Parents - who claims sons? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm still legally married to my husband but we've been separated for more than 8 years. We have 2 sons ages 11 & 12. For years we mutually decide which one of us is going to claim one or both boys. He has been out of touch with me for almost six months. What happens if I claim the boys? If he's...

Small claims lawsuit question? [ 0 Answers ]

I am in the process of filing a small claims lawsuit for $3000. I bought a $7000 car as a gift for an ex boyfriend. We broke up two months after the gift was given, and I feel I should be paid back either half the amount I spent or be given back the car. I have all the receipts showing I paid in...

View more questions Search