Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zumapooh Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2008, 09:46 AM
    Void commercial real estate lease
    My commercial landlord verbally agreed about 5 months ago not to require a monthly rental payment from the LLC, which she and I are 50% each members, if I would not receive monthly salary for managing the LLC. The rent and salary were equal. She owns the property solely. Would this verbal agreement make the original written lease for 10 yrs null and void? I've been renting for 5 years. She keeps coming in and threatening to close it down and one time she even advertised the business for sale and was showing it without my knowledge or approval. She couldn't sell it anyway without my approval since we are both 50% members. She was to be a silent partner not even stay in the area. She is always hanging around interrupting the flow of business. I would like to lease another location and relocate the business since her rent is very high and get out from under her property.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 11:55 AM

Well, verbal agreements ARE legally binding, but there has to be "assent" (AGREEMENT). So if one of you were to take the other to court, and you both show up and tell the judge what you agreed to and the stories match, he/she would rule to uphold that. If you went in and have conflicting stories about the verbal agreement then the judge would either take one side or the other - or somewhere in between (whatever they were convinced of), or they'd be likely to "void" the whole thing and just go back to whatever written agreements you had in place prior to the verbal agreement.

So, will she say, "no, that's not what I agreed to." Or will she say, "yes, I agreed to that, but then I changed my mind."??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 12:19 PM

you have a verbal contract to accept rental value instead of money.
    This is separate from the lease.

Time to put it all in writing, start getting a check for the work you do, and pay a check for the rent.

Really that is how it should be done anyway, since you still have to report the rental value as income on a 1099 and show the money being paid as rent for tax purposes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deposit on Commercial Real Estate [ 3 Answers ]

How Much Can A Person Charge For Commercial Real Estate. My Friends Finally Found A Place To Rent For An Auto Body Shop But The Owner Wants Four Months Rent As A Deposit. How Many Months Should It Be?

When is a Real Estate contrct void. [ 1 Answers ]

When is a Real Estate contrct void.

Is a real estate contract void if all the blanks are not filled out. [ 4 Answers ]

We have a contract to buy a second home in Wisconsin. The mortgage financing box has been checked however the terms were never filled out. Is the contract void

Help! TN Real Estate Law/Need to break lease [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning! Need advise on how to break a lease. We moved into the house Nov. 2005 it was a 15 month lease. When that expired we signed a new 12 month lease March 2007. We're accepting employment in another state. Are there stipulations in the state of TN that allows you to get out of a lease?...

Lease to buy real estate question [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having a tough time selling my house in southern California and really need to get it off my hands due to a job transfer out of state. I've been contacted by a company that wants to do lease it out and pay my monthly mortgage payments for 3 or 4 years and then buy it at the time. The buy...

View more questions Search