Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Grammarian-Bot Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Jun 22, 2006, 08:10 PM
    Need help to distinguish between auxiliary dare and main verb dare
    I am facing a problem while differentiating between the use of dare as an auxiliary verb and as a main verb. Most of the web sites say that you can know it by the way it's used but all the sentences I come across, they just confuse me more and more. Consider the following two examples.

1. None dares to speak freely about the political issue.
    2. If you dare breath a word about it, Ill never talk to you again.

In the first sentence, it's clear from the infinitive that dare is used as a main verb. But how would we know that if this sentence is given to us in MCQs.
    Please help we with that.
    jc105 Posts: 162, Reputation: 17

Jul 17, 2006, 01:36 PM
    I guess I would ask myself if the sentence could be stated without the dare and still hold the same relevance. In my opinion the second sentence would easily convey the point without the word dare.

Not a English major (AT ALL), but that's how I read it.

If you dare breath a word about it, Ill never talk to you again.
    If you breath a word about it, Ill never talk to you again.

Simply put you would perform the act of daring someone to do something. If you refer to a persons action as they dare to do so, I would imagine that it does not constitute itself as a main verb. But like you said the first sentence isn't stating someone is being dared to do something, but rather they are daring to do something.

Good luck, the more I think aboot this the wierder the question is...

Don't you know any Language teachers? Sometimes teachers that know other languages have a better grasp on the subtleties(SP?) of ours.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Errors in verbs followed by verb words [ 2 Answers ]

Incorrect: It is essential that you are on time. Correct: It is essential that you be on time. Incorrect: He suggested that we should meet at the train. Correct: He suggested that we meet ate the train. Please can you tell me what is the logic behind using "be" instead of "are" in the...

Subject and verb agreement [ 2 Answers ]

Are these two sentences correct regarding subject and verb agreement? I am having trouble rationalizing why the second should get "are." 1. A small percentage of people is severely color challenged. Subject: percentage. Verb: Is 2. Some 5% to 8% of males and 0.5% of females are born with...

Main drain [ 1 Answers ]

My main sewer backed up 4 times a year. Cost me $100 every time I called the plumber. What type of chemical can I used to prevent this. I have no tree in front of house at all. Thank you in advanced

Adding main flr w/r [ 1 Answers ]

I am adding a powder room c/w toilet and basin. I was told that if I use 2" piping all the way up to the basin tail piece that this would act as a vent if tied into the toilet drain. Will this work properly?The toilet is on the main floor and it will be about 10 feeet away from a main sanitary...

Verb tense agreement [ 1 Answers ]

In this sentence: If you are a creative person by nature, or are interested in applying high-tech visual tools and programs to enchance your career, take a closer look at MU's graduate certificate and Master of Science in Multimedia Technology. Do we need the second are as in are interested.

View more questions Search