Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SuzyinFL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 10:00 PM
    Leasing a room-oral contract.need to know my rights!
    Hi! I am a tenant in Florida and have questions... so glad I found this site!

I recently answered an ad for roommate needed in Florida. The ad was for one bedroom, one bath. Upon moving in we agreed to up the rent for a second bedroom.

No written lease was signed because I knew his girlfriend and we thought all was well... NOT!

She wants to move in, but not in his bedroom. She wants to take over my second bedroom.

What are my rights? As far as the homeowner is concerned, he keeps changing his story. One day I don't have anything to worry about, the next I have thirty days to move.

Please help!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 04:57 AM

If you don't have a lot of money invested in this rental, I would say cut your losses and find another place to live. If you are having this much trouble with the rental, then it doesn't sound well for a future with your landlord.

Lesson learned: ALWAYS GET IT IN WRITING !
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 06:05 AM

They may with a 30 day notice, give you notice to move out.

Also did you rent from the other tenant ( sub rent) or did you actually rent from the owner.

But either can ask you to move with 30 days
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 06:43 AM

Your "rights" are whatever your state law entitles you to. There's a "STICKY" at the top of this forum with a link for each state. That's what you'd need to go by in the absence of a written lease.

All that remains to be determined, as Fr Chuck pointed out, is who your landlord is in this situation... the actual owner or the roommate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a leasing contract for an apartment in Texas to purchanse a new house [ 4 Answers ]

Do I have any other way to get out if I breach a contract agreement with the apartment, because I want to buy a new home, and the new home is a really good offer not to miss out? Could you let me know. Thanks

Getting out of leasing contract for safety reasons [ 1 Answers ]

I signed a lease for the apartment that I am living in now in Novemer of 2007. Recently two people that spent the night at my house on two different occasions got their tires slashed. Ten other people living on street got their tires slashed as well, and it is even happening to cars in the back...

Leasing Contract [ 4 Answers ]

I rent an appt. of a house in Michigan. I came home on Friday and had a notice taped to my door. It stated that the landlords house that I live in will be foreclosed by sale on the steps of the court house on Jan. 24th. What are my rights as a tenant? I have a 1 year lease how does this affect me?

Leasing Tenants rights in Foreclosure Home [ 2 Answers ]

If we are renting a home and the home is in foreclosure status Can we be kicked out? Can we complete our lease if not owned by the same lanlord?

Leasing contract [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, In our house leasing contract, my name is not listed as one of the occupants. The lease is in my Wife's name. Do I need to add my name or am I included in the contract because I am the spouse? We live in a rented house in Ventura county CA. Thanks

View more questions Search