Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debbera Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 09:05 PM
    Antique four prong phone conversion
    I have a old phone, the 3 wires ( yellow, red, and blue) are connected to a four prong plug. I want to update it, to use with a new plug in phone jack.

Thank-you for any help you can offer.
    Debbera
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 09:59 PM

This kind of adapter does work: 4 prong to modular plug adapter - Oldphoneworks

Inherently,I don't like the modular plugs/jacks because they tend to get noisy and pull out easily.

The silver satin cords are very difficult to strain relief in the phone itself.

I think, if I wanted a more reliable fix, I would get a small connector and connect the phone cord to it and then connect another connector to a piece of silver satin cord with a modular plug.

Or use stranded CAT 5 wire. This might be easier to strain relief and you can put a modular plug on it. If you need to extend it use a coupler. That wasn't an option before ethernet.

The adapter I have holds the modular plug very tight and even though at this one location, both kinds of jacks are available, I prefer to adapt as this adapter does.
    don beardsley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2009, 09:32 AM

I have a 4Prong adapter that I need to plug into the latest type of phone jack, trying to locate a supplier that caries this type of female adapters,thanks for any hepl you can give me.
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2009, 11:27 AM

I'm confused.

A cord with a 4-prong female at one end and a modular male at the other is in the link in post #2.

What are you looking for?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2009, 06:08 PM

I would install an RJ11(newer style phone jack)
    Use a Meter, and hook the red to the Negative 48 volts and the Green to the positive with respect to red. Tape unused.
    verathraghna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2012, 06:52 AM
    Would this work with an old two-prong phone also?
    kaykaybaby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2012, 06:10 PM
    My mother just bought a house built in 1954. The phone jacks in the house have four holes and need a four prong male adapter tuse them. The previous owner left their adapter and phone but I can not get a dial tone. I am wondering how complicated is it going to be to change to the new jacks. Will everything need to be rewired?
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2012, 10:01 PM
    The phone was probably disconnected.

The phone company should supply a NID outside the house. If there isn't one, request that one be put in. Check for dial tone there.

Old touch tone phones are sensitive to polarity. You will get a dial tone, but unable to generate tones if the polarity is wrong.

The 4-prong jacks can easily be unplugged and sometimes generate noise at the contacts. The 4-prong to modular plug adapters work really well, but not the other way around.

The house will like be wired with very thick QUAD WIRE. That wire can be used on a modular jack with SCREW TERMINALS inside.

The house I'm is a nightmareish combo of quad, new phone wire and DSL and non-home runs. Lots of locations have both modular and 4-prong available. There are two ringers that don't have phones connected.

Most of the house is now served by a 4-wirelss handset / tel answering machine on an UPS.

No issues and the DSL is pristine because it's done with a splitter and not filters.

Re-wiring isn't strictly necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a 3 prong plug to a 4 prong outlet [ 15 Answers ]

In my Laundry room I have a 4 prong plug for my dryer. I have a 3 prong plug on my welder. They are both 220 and I have everything I need to make an extension cord in cluding wire, plug and receptacle and gang box. I know how to wire the ground but am not sure where to put the black and white...

Replacing 2-prong receptacle with 3-Prong -NO GROUND WIRE [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there! I was wondering if someone can tell me how exactly I go about doing this safely. I have an existing 2 prong ungrounded plug... theres no ground to this receptacle... old metal box does not seem to be grounded either. I would like to replace this receptacle with a 3 prong GFCI...

Changing 4 prong dryer plug to work with 3 prong outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dryer I haven't been able to use. I moved into an older house and bought a wall outlet to match the plug that's on the dryer. The problem is, any way I rewire the outlet with given wires it won't work.

What is the difference in a 2 prong or a 3 prong condenser motor capacitor? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, 1996 Rheem AC (SEER 12) condenser fan moter replaced. (A.O. Smith 1/8 HP 825 rpm. 208-230 volt.) My old capacitor has 3 prongs, black, black and white. The white one has an orange wire that goes to the compressor. The new capacitor has 2 prongs, black and black. Where do I...

View more questions Search