Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roeholly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 08:16 PM
    Tenant in Florida breaking 2yr lease after 2 months
    I have a tenant that signed a 2 year lease beginning Sept. 1.
    They paid October 2008 rent and have not paid for November.
    I served a 3 day notice to pay or vacate. Now she calls me and says that her husband is cheating and she can't stay in the house. I'm sorry for her, but not only do they owe me for Nov. they owe the balance of the lease or rent until I find another renter. I have already advertised but it is slow this time of year. How do I make sure I legally have documents where they agree to pay the rent until I find another tenant? I have one month security deposit which basically will be gone for the rent they didn't pay for Nov.
    Do you know where I can get the proper documents to do this and file a judgement?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2008, 09:18 PM

well the document that shows they owe the money is your signed lease papers along with a copy of the check showing they paid. ( proof of payment)

This is a on going loss, since it will continue to build in value till it is rented.

To get a judgement you file a suit in coulrt and present your evidence.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 07:20 AM

Florida is actually very landlord friendly. You don't even have to attempt to mitigate your losses by re-renting the unit (although I would anyway). Your state law allows you to just charge them the whole 2 years and obtain a judgement for that whole time.

Now that you've got the pay or vacate notice done you just simply go to court and file an eviction suit. You'll get a judgement to regain possession of your property and a judgement for any rent that's past-due at the time you file the suit. Then you'll file a separate suit in small claims court to obtain a judgement for the rent for the remaining time on the lease.

I don't believe you'd have any problem obtaining these judgements, but collecting the money is a whole other ballgame.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a Lease in FLORIDA [ 3 Answers ]

I recently rented my villa in an over 55 development to a 64 year old for one year with lease commencing July 1. All went well and I received a $900 deposit, plus one month rent in advance. Last week, I received a call from her son saying that she was hospitalized and would require assistance...

Breaking a lease Florida [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a suburb of Ft. Lauderdale, FL. and my lease for my apartment is not up until October, 2008. Presently I am looking to purchase a home and I do not want to loose my security deposit. Would you please advise me of my lagal tenant rights or do I not have one.

Breaking lease in Florida [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I recently moved from Florida. When I was there I started a lease for one year. I was there for four months until my boyfriend also on the lease lost his job. We looked for more work but couldn't find any. We were forced to move back to my moms house in Pennsylvania. We called and notified...

Breaking A Lease in Florida [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone have a clue on what a renter's right in Florida are regarding breaking a lease? The lease is a generic Office Max lease form that has not been notorized following the completion of the form. We were told that we needed to either move or buy the house within in two to three months due to...

Florida-breaking lease [ 2 Answers ]

My husband I are divorcing, we need to break our year lease for a house we are renting together, can it be done and what are the consequences

View more questions Search