Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mydedebt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 05:35 PM
    Judgement by default, now trying to enforce judgement
    Received a judgement by default... by cavalry portfolio... a debt collector service. Now they had a sheriff show up at my home due to a levy, and theyb assessed my assests. Can they do that?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2008, 05:38 PM

Yes, you owed someone money, they sued you and you did not show up in court to fight it, ( and did not make any payment arrangements prior)

So they got a judgement, and can according to the law in your state do collectoin activities that are legal in your state.
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Nov 16, 2008, 07:35 PM

Yes, FrChuck is right. You owe it, ignored the summons and now according to your state laws the default judgement takes effect. Bank levy garnishment of wages are likely to follow

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Default Judgement [ 6 Answers ]

Ok so here is my problem, I was sued by chase bank. A law firm is representing the bank and they are stating that they summoned me for a hearing on June 12, 2008 and are stating that they have proof of service which is a total lie! I never received anything in person. I was working that day and...

Default Judgement [ 2 Answers ]

I received a summons of default judgement for a truck that I have that still has a balance, I need more time to settle this matter what should I do? Do I request a contiuance?

Default judgement [ 5 Answers ]

I am 27 years old I live in Texas. In 2004 my dad had cancer. I ended up losing my job so I stayed home to help take care of him. My credit card went to collections. I offered to make payments and they refused to work with me. They said that the only payment they would take was for me to give them...

Unaware of default judgement /cause of judgement [ 2 Answers ]

A few days ago, my husband was called by a collection agency informing him of a default judgement of over $8,000 which he had no prior knowledge of. The default judgement was 12/2005. He was told that it was for a credit card he had in 1996. He sincerely believes that he was the victim of identity...

Default Judgement [ 4 Answers ]

I entered into a agreement with a creditor to pay off an account I fell late on the payment and they entered a default and a judgement was ordered. I had paid 1,500 so far out of 5,000. They levied my bank account for 1,300 and now I'm afraid that they will seize my car. Can they do that if I...

View more questions Search