Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dundeb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 04:35 PM
    A MOTHER trying to PROTECT her family
    Just wanted to ask if I have a year lease been in
    the unit for 4 months and two shootings ,my window broken out, black mold on the windows and a lot of critters (roaches-spiders)!!!! Been to the office to complain they say there doing what they can but no results so far. I am new to sc carolina so i did not know that this was not good area to raise kids till it was to late for the safety of myself and children i would like to break my lease is it possibly??? As i write there is someone outside shooting we are use to the police coming but to no prevail. I looked over the lease they want a 60 days notice i don't if we can live in this danger for another 60 days please help me what should and could i do thanks.............
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 04:41 PM

Actually you might be able to get out of the lease due to the black mold, but that may take months to prove as well.
    You might just have to move and then prove it in court.
    Take mold samples and photos and get all the documentation you
    Can to prove your case.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2008, 05:23 PM

What type of lease, most the 60 day notice is at the end of the lease so it does not renew. Normally you will be obligated to the entire lease.

Did you not inspect, walk in and look at the apartment. Merely being in a bad area is not usully enogh to break a lease. But the mold will be if they refuse to fix it.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 07:33 AM

Well first, stop TALKING to them. You need to start conducting all communication in writing with them. That way, if you do break the lease and they come after you, you'll have a paper trail. Most leases outline a specific procedure for reporting issues. Also your state landlord / tenant laws will state what's required on your part. There's a "sticky" at the top of this forum with a link to each state's laws. Each law has a set procedure. In most cases, if you follow all the way through with the appropriate number of written complaints and nothing is done you have some recourse to terminate your lease or something. But it does vary by location.

Also, you have to put your family first. You may very well have to make the decision to illegally break your lease and bail out - regardless of the consequences. If you do take a TON of pictures. I'd get a little notebook and just start jotting down every time you hear gun shots, see the police there, etc. If you bail the landlord / management may or may not even come after you.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2008, 06:09 AM

Look up sick building syndrome the law + your state and you should be able to get something that will help your case and the best way to go about proving the seriousness of it.

If the mold was not there before, your landlord probably had it washed off with bleach and kept it ventilated and at a temperature that it would not thrive at.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to find my real mother I was adoped into a family as a baby [ 2 Answers ]

I was adopted into a family as a baby I am now almost 50 and I want to know my real family my adoptive fathers name is jim collins and I don't have money to spend on this online stuff is there anyone that can tell me how I can find them for free my name is leanna jeanette collins I don't know my...

Mother-in-law says I'm not part of family [ 3 Answers ]

I married my husband 6 months ago. It was his 3rd, my 2nd so we just eloped. His mother and I used to be very close until a year ago when we rented a condo together. She had invited my immediate family herself for a visit one afternoon, but was very cold and rude to them that afternoon. She...

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Mother told terrible lie about me to family [ 4 Answers ]

After my mother died I found out that her sister had told my sister literally beside my mother's deathbed that I had done something violent to my father. I was thrown for a loop in several ways but at the same time this untruth about me (I have NEVER done anything violent and certainly not what...

View more questions Search