Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbbm72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 01:15 PM
    How do I do It
    I am a single white female who wants to adopt but can not seem to get a straight answer from anyone on how to start or what to do. I live in new Mexico and would like to adopt a child, preferably a boy, from the United States and he does not have to be an infant but would like him or her to be 3 and under. I make about 30k a year but have a home and a lot to give. The process seems overwhelming and I do not know where to start...
    div2wice Posts: 103, Reputation: 1
    -

Nov 18, 2008, 06:50 AM
    First, you'd need to check your state laws, some states do not allow single parents to adopt.
    Then, you can contact the Dept. of Children and Families. They will explain (or at least should explain) the process of how to adopt a child. Nearly all of the children in foster care are older children, the younger ones are always adopted first and the older are left, so it may be difficult to find the age you are looking for. Most people who want younger children either go through private adoption or internationally however its expensive and difficult to do if you're single.
    You will have to complete a homestudy, and a social worker will interview you to determine if you are able and stable enough to adopt. Although they tell you that its more important for you to be stable, you don't have to be rich, that isn't true. They turned us down because we didn't make enough money for them (we made over $45,000/year at the time), so you may have trouble being accepted because of your financial status, and also your marital status.
    Contacting CPS would be your first step, if they don't sllow you to adopt, then it will be difficult...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search