Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ejj88 Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2006, 09:56 AM
    Ball joints
    What would an estimated cost of replacing lower ball joints on my 1998 Ford F150? I called a fairly reliable repair shop this morning and they gave me an estimate of approximately $365. This would include labor and the alignment.

I looked at NAPA online and found the lower ball joints at a cost of $40.
    Is there that much time involved in doing this to explain all the labor or does this estimate have overpriced parts on it?

Thank you in advance.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jun 22, 2006, 02:42 PM
    I can tell you prices for changing lower ball joints on a '90 Civic here in Croatia.

Original ball joints cost 42$ a piece. You can get a non-original for about 20$. Changing them costs 18$ per ball joint (that's in a Honda-only service shop here, which exists since 1972). Getting an alignment done is 20$-30$.

So, either that '98 Ford F150 is using some space technology with it's lower ball joints, or something is really fishy.

Oh, perhaps you should take into account that an average Croatian salary is about 8200$ a year, so perhaps use that to calculate the factor by which you should multiply my prices to get your prices.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Jun 23, 2006, 04:26 AM
    they will remove tires from truck

unbolt the lower mounting bolts from shocks

unbolt the brake calipers

remove the rotors(not necessary but makes job much easier)

pull the spring out

undo any sway bar that's mounted

lower arm will hang

unbolt the spindle mounting bolts

secure the spindle from dropping along with the brake caliper

they will undo the tie rod end and pop it off the ball joint

then they will unbolt the lower arm from the frame

and then go to the press and press in/out the joints and then do all above in reverse to remount

takes around 1 1/2hr per side at whatever labor rate they charge
    if you take to Ford their rate last time I checked here was $80/hr

so you are looking at around $240 or more for labor at the dealership

the joints are around $40-45 apiece x2=$90
    so far total looking around $330 or a little more

then they HAVE TO align the front... so that's somewhere arounf $50-$70

so far $380-$400 without tax at dealership

call your local dealership to ask what they would charge to do the job... SOMETIMES they might be lower but the price the guy estimated you sounds fair

... I do believe my brothers F-250 4x4 V10 at the dealer cost around $500 to do
    JOSH1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2010, 10:58 PM
    All right I use to have a 98 ford the ball joints aren't even pressed there bolt on.. that machanic was trying to rip you off ball joints are about $105 for all four and that's duralast,or there's moog's those can range from $180-$320 for all four the labor should only be about $80 an hour...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alternative to sanding drywall joints? [ 13 Answers ]

I'm gettin' pressured to put up another wall in my basement, and my wife says she saw on diynetwork (TV show) a guy showing that you can mud the seams as you normally would, then let it dry only 1-2 hours then come back with a wet blade and skim them... instead of sanding them: No sanding...

Leaking drain joints [ 13 Answers ]

I have installed a new kitchen sink, but the slip joints (brass) of the drain pipe leak, even though they have rubber gaskets and I have tightened them with a wrench. I did not use any sealing compound (pipe thread compound). Should I, or are the slip joints designed to function without such a...

Copper drips at soldered joints [ 1 Answers ]

I just had the copper in my kitchen replaced by a plumber. I have been working in the kitchen... getting it ready to have the cabinets installed. I have noticed some joints drip a little bit from the soldered joints. I notice the drops on the concrete. When I touch it to check it, the drips...

Forgot To Prime Joints [ 1 Answers ]

I remembered to prime my pvc pipe, yet forgot to prime just one of the elbows. Am I in danger of a leaky pipe now? Thank you in advance

How to work with lead joints? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am in the middle of adding a bathroom in part of my garage. What is the best way to separate lead joints in cast iron pipe? My home was built in 1957 so I don't know if they were using the hemp type stuff to seal the joints then. The pipe sort of looks galvanized to me (It cut pretty...

View more questions Search