Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Melisa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2006, 08:21 AM
    Getting Married!
    I met my wonderful fiancé 10 months ago and we are planning to get married on our 1 year anniversary which is in August. I am 19 and he is 35, but I really do not think the age matters although some people say it does. I was wondering cause we :eek: cannot decide where to get married at:eek: . I would appreciate it if some of you could like give me a few ideas on where to have it besides at home or on the church grounds or inside the church or on the beach. Please if you have any ideas on where to have a wedding I would very much appreciate it. I welcome any questions you might have for me, seeing that I am young and innocent as most people would put it. Thanks a million ;) MELISA:)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2006, 09:06 AM
    Hi, Melisa,
    As you said "young and innocent".
    At 19, you really haven't lived life very much; compared to your fiance` of 35 yrs.
    Ten months really isn't a long at all to get to know someone. I was divorced after my 1st 7 yrs of marriage. She was 19, me 24... too early for her!
    It took me 2 yrs to really "fall in love" with another woman, and a year after that, remarried; now for 29 yrs.
    If you two are really in love, it won't matter if you get married at one year, or two. Why not wait another year and see if things are the same. It's a lot easier to get married than to get Divorced!
    Best of luck.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2006, 09:10 AM
    Just noticed you are from Marianna, FL. I was born and raised in your "neck of the woods", about 30 miles from you. Used to go to Ft. Walton Beach, on Sunday afternoon with Mom, Dad, and my brother, when we were kids. Now live in VA.
    Melisa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2006, 09:24 AM
    Yes thanks! We are very much in love! If I searched the world over I do not think I would ever find a better man than him. Thanks for the advice! I very much appreciate it! Melisa
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 22, 2006, 09:39 AM
    There are a lot of kooky places... underwater in full scuba gear, on mountain tops, on waterskiis, whilst jumping from airplanes, at the rodeo, in a nudist camp :eek:.. laughing here!

If I may echo Fred's sentiments, slow down a little?

As you discover more of who you are, the "where" and "how" to get married may become more readily apparent to you both. It needs to be meaningful to you two specifically. Its Your Day after all!

For us, it was a second marriage and we already had all our material needs met so we had it "pot-luck" style - where each aspect of the wedding was managed by a different friend and that was their gift to us. What a loving experience that was and just what we wanted too!

Thanks for posting Melisa, congrats to you both and good luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 22, 2006, 03:28 PM
    At the place you first meet or at the place you went on the first date.

I have done weddings in hot air ballons, airplanes ( did not do the parachute thing but know of some that have)

At a public park, a skating rink, I held of someone at Walmart but no proof of that one.
    Amythest Posts: 98, Reputation: 6

Aug 18, 2006, 12:15 AM
    Before of the where, how many people are you thinking are going to be there? This can greatly affect/effect (usage?) the where you can go.
    Some of the above idea's are great. I've seen them in parks. I would think of something you really like doing together... and plan based on that. Maybe at an art museaum if you like art? Also what is budget? If money isn't a huge issue, you could maybe talk to some some place that does local band shows and maybe do it on the stage. Not that I would really think it's a great idea but some talk shows do specials and you go get marreid on t.v. ( that cpould work out though because you could just tell people when to watch it) people could see it with out you having to pay for the 200 guests??
    Maybe do it under the stars? At sunset or sun rise? Country, forrest, jungle woods? Underground? Cave? If your more into the goth scene at a cemetery. Though if your superstitous... on a roof top? Block off a street and do it there. Firetruck? Police car? I don't know if they'd let you but you could ask. Who knows the possibilities are only ;limited to your imagination... and your wallet, and what's legal :P good luck.
    adele18 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Aug 18, 2006, 01:18 AM
    Hey melissa

I think you are doing the right thing I am 19 and my partner is 31 and we are getting married in a month so don't let people judge you or make you feel bad cause of the age difference if you love each other and are happy go for it..

I wish you both well

By the way I am a wedding planner so if you need any help planning it I will be glad to offer my services over the internet

Thanks adele
    synonim Posts: 7, Reputation: -1

Aug 27, 2007, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Melisa
    I met my wonderful fiance 10 months ago and we are planning to get married on our 1 year anniversary which is in August. I am 19 and he is 35, but I really do not think the age matters although some people say it does. I was wondering casue we :eek: cannot decide where to get married at:eek: . I would appreciate it if some of you could like give me a few ideas on where to have it besides at home or on the church grounds or inside the church or on the beach. Please if you have any ideas on where to have a wedding I would very much appreciate it. I welcome any questions you might have for me, seeing that I am young and innocent as most people would put it. Thanx a million ;) MELISA:)
    Get married standing ankle deep in the ocean, with the waves gently rolling in.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Aug 28, 2007, 12:45 PM
    There certainly are exceptions to the usual, but I think you may be moving too fast. Please make sure that before you set the date, you have premarital counseling and make sure that you and your fiancé have come to clear agreements on the issues that most people find most difficult in marriage. Money management, and who works how much, is a huge issue. How many children and when is another. What is yours and your fiance's track record with fidelity (rhetorical - of course, you don't have to tell me but make sure you both know!) Most couples have key issues they argue about often (him going out with the boys, being jealous or you spending too much, or whatever). Make sure they are resolved completely before you set a wedding date.

Then, I would suggest you think about what places have particular meaning for you as a couple, and what places you like to go to personally. Is there somewhere you find that you can think more clearly, or where you like to go if you are unhappy to cheer yourself up? Do you love art or gardens or water? Consider a gallery, the party room of a favorite restaurant, a local arboretum, a historic building, the rooftop garden/pool area of a fancy apartment building, or wherever you feel most at ease.

Be sure that your focus is on the marriage more than the wedding. A lot of us are in love with the person we are marrying, and with the idea of marriage, but we aren't ready yet. Do the homework and you will have a much better chance of being in the 50% that stay married forever.

Best wishes to you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

So... my EX is getting married in about 10 days... [ 13 Answers ]

Why does this bother me! I can't really figure it out. I KNOW I would never get back together with her even if she did come back to me... but it does! I feel moody, pissed off, and snappy with everyone! I have been dating, and realize she is not for me... but I can't get past this right now. Why? I...

Seeing a married man [ 40 Answers ]

I've been seeing this married man for several months now. When we first got involved with each other we said that we was'nt going to let any feeling get in our way. Because of his wife and my boyfreind .All of that have changed , I've fallen in love with this man and I now that he have deeply...

Should I get married? [ 15 Answers ]

Here's my problem: I'm in the us army reserves and my unit has been called on active duty, now that I'm going to be leaving for a year my boyfriend wants to get married. I've been with my boyfriend for going in 2yrs. And we know in our hearts that we want to spend the rest of our lives...

Why did I get married? [ 9 Answers ]

I am 28 years old and when I met my husband 5 years ago he was perfect. 3years into the relationship I got pregnant and about 3 months later married. When I had my beautiful baby boy he was hardly around because he was in the police academy. I would only see him on weekends. So I decided to move...

F1-OPT-H1-married [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, Here is my situation: * I have been filing as F1 student for the last five years. * I was on F1-OPT till June 30th 2005. * I moved to H1B from July 1st 2005. * Got married on Nov. 27. Spouse is in the US from Dec. 12. I am planning to file federal tax as married jointly and...

View more questions Search