Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    question2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 10:03 AM
    How can my husband legally adopt my daughter in NYS
    HI, I have a 4 yr old daughter Ive been married for 2 years. My husband wants to adopt her. He has been in our lives since she was 9 months old. Lately however, her having a different last name is causeing issues. We teach her my husbands last name but she legally has her biological fathers name. Her father signed the birth certificate, pays child support and had court imposed visitation rights that he hasn't followed through with since her birth. We have virtual no communication but I am able to get in touch with him if necessary. I want to know where I can get all the necessary information/paperwork so my husband can formally adopt my daughter. I want to send it to her biological father so he has all the facts and can make an adequate decision. We live in NYS.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by question2008 View Post
    HI, I have a 4 yr old daughter Ive been married for 2 years. My husband wants to adopt her. He has been in our lives since she was 9 months old. Lately however, her having a different last name is causeing issues. We teach her my husbands last name but she legally has her biological fathers name. Her father signed the birth certificate, pays child support and had court imposed visitation rights that he hasn't followed thru with since her birth. We have virtual no communication but I am able to get in touch with him if necessary. I want to know where I can get all the necessary information/paperwork so my husband can formally adopt my daughter. I want to send it to her biological father so he has all the facts and can make an adequate descision. We live in NYS.

I wouldn't try this without an Attorney. Basically if the father is in agreement he would legally agree to a termination of his parental rights and your husband would adopt the child. No problem with you contacting the biological father first but sometimes an Attorney's letter to the effect that child support would end, past support would not be pursued, does the trick better than you can, particularly if there is any level of hostility between you.

If you use the "search" feature above - next to the AMHD logo (the lighbulb) - you will find literally hundreds of similar questions.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2008, 02:16 PM

Yes, this is one of the things that will need a attorney. But first, you need to see ( perhaps ask) if he will sign over his rights to allow the adoption.
    If he will, then get the attorney to do the paper work, if not, there is not a lot that can be done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could my husband still adopt my daughter [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my daughter has not seen her dad since she was 2. she is now nearly 7 he has parental rights as we were married but I don't know if he is my daughters dad as we split up and I went back to an ex I am now married and my husband has been bringing up my daughter since she was 2 she calls him daddy...

My husband wants to adopt my daughter [ 6 Answers ]

My husband wants to adopt my 13 yr old daughter. He has basically helped me raise her since she was one yr old. What do we need to do first? He biological father denied she was even his when I first told him I was pregnant. I haven't been able to find him anywhere ! When I was on welfare in CA, as...

My Husband wants to adopt my daughter. [ 1 Answers ]

I had my daughter out of marriage and her father has only seen her once he is not in the birth certificate but she has his last name. He has been in and out in jail and would get deported once he gets out he is illegal here we have no contact with him at all. Now I have been married for 3 yrs and...

What does my husband need to do to adopt my daughter? [ 2 Answers ]

What does my husband need to do to adopt my daughter?

For my husband to adopt my daughter [ 2 Answers ]

I would like my husband to adopt my 4 yr old daughter, her real father doesn't pay me goes in and out of her life shows up one day to see her then goes months without calling or coming around, and has been in and out of jail has a voilet past, drinks, in and out of jobs and where he lives no...

View more questions Search