Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nighthawk117 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 02:28 AM
    Complete memory wipe and restore to factorysettings without original disk
    Hello I'm new to the whole computer thing my brother gave me his old laptop and I want to restore it to its original factory state deletion of all files but my problem is that I don't have the windows xp disk so I can't re install windows xp how do I wipe all files while still keeping the current windows operating system on the computer thanks for your time
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Nov 16, 2008, 02:32 AM

Well, you're going to make us ask, huh?

OK, what is the make and model # of the laptop? Most laptops have a recovery partition built into the laptop, unless a previous owner removed it.

On my laptop, pressing F11 (or maybe F10... Fsomething) tapping F11 when I first turn on the laptop brings up the Recovery Console and I can use the options in there to do a Factory Restore.
    Zayne S Halsall Posts: 71, Reputation: 5

Nov 16, 2008, 05:24 AM

May not be relevant to your situation, but if System Restore is enabled on your computer, you may get some mileage out of it in this circumstance:

Windows XP System Restore Is Easy to Use

Another option is to just uninstall all applications you don't want and delete your brother's user profile (generally in C:\Documents and Settings). Not 100% factory clean, but a close second without further information on your setup.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Nov 16, 2008, 10:01 PM

System Restore only goes back a few months, probably not appropriate use for this OP's question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

COMPLETE wipe of hdd [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone. What is the best way to completely format my C: drive ( WinXP drive ), my friends says That just formatting with the windows CD is not enough if you have any malware running. So, is it best to download and burn Ultimate BOOTCD , boot it, and wipe the C drive, then install XP on...

How do I remove write-protection on a memory disk? [ 2 Answers ]

I am using a SanDisk with 2GB of memory. When I try to delete the 134CANON folder or its contents, I get the message: "Cannot delete SDC13700: The disk is write-protected" How do I dump the photos?

Is it possible to re-install outlook wihout the original disk? [ 6 Answers ]

I had my computer built by a friend of mine, and I didn't get the original xp pro disk with it. Now my Outlook is totally messed up. The Sent messages folder disappeared,( but the folder is still there full of messages) and Every message I send gets a error, but the message does send through....

How to Reinstall Windows 98 without original disk? [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a Toshiba Tecra 520CDT that has a couple of minor problems (it only cost me £10) and I want to reinstall Windows 98 in the hope that it will fix whatever is causing the display to only work in 16 color mode. First problem: I can't figure out for the life of me how to get into the...

View more questions Search