Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Linkef0 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 02:09 AM
    Network Testing Device
    I am going to get an Ethernet Network Testing Device but I have one question. I have one end of the Ethernet cable in the second floor and the other end is in the basement, can the Ethernet tester can still do the test or it cannot reach that far. I was thinking of getting the “Cables To Go LANtest PRO” for one of my choices. Hopefully this make sense
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 02:26 AM

What is the purpose of your testing?

What do you want to know?
    Linkef0 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 03:12 PM

The purpose is that I got the wrong cable. I didn't study long enough for ethernet cables. My cable is indoor only and I put it outside for around a year and now my internet is messing up on me. I research for a outdoor ethernet cable and I am getting it soon but I need to know that my cable is all right or not.

I thing I need to know about a network tester is that can it go to the basement and the second floor at the same time and tell me a reading that my cable is good or not. Because I look it up on YouTube about network tester and they just have 1' cable to see if it was 100% working but can it do 150' of ethernet cable in different rooms or it doesn't matter

Yes I am a begginner about these things.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 06:55 PM

That tester doesn't tell you much and probably would not show an error with your cable outside. It's really 1/2 of a cable identifier and it makes sure there are no wiring errors.

A tester with a TDR (Time Domain Reflectometer) allows one to determine where breaks and shorts are in a cable.

Then there is cable qualification. e.g. what bandwidth the cable can support.

Here is some real test information:

Testing Terminology

A really simple test is to do pings continuously with a large packet size like 2048 or 8192. Cable problems with the connectors do show up with that test. It just doesn't tell you where.

A qualification tester tells you HOW GOOD your cable is by testing individual cables.

An example of a qualifier is here:
    Cable Qualification

There is lots of stuff here with lots of educational materials. Enjoy.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Nov 18, 2008, 08:57 AM

There are numerous types of testors, some cheap and some not (http://www.flukenetworks.com). None of them will tell you if your cable is rated for outside installations. What they will tell you is this:

Wiremap - the mapping of the wires. Are the pairs conncted to the right pins in the RJ-45 connector or not. Is it a straight or crossover cable?

Distance - how long is the cable? It must be less than 100 meters in length.

Quality - measures impedance and loss of signal.

Cable testors use two devices, one at each end. The far end generates a signal and the receiver uses that signal to provide you with some or all of the information above.

If this is just for one cable, then I would forgo the expense of the cable testor and just make sure that it is connected properly at both ends using the T568B standard:

Pin 1 - White/Orange
    Pin 2 - Orange/White
    Pin 3 - White/Green
    Pin 4 - Blue/White
    Pin 5 - White/Blue
    Pin 6 - Green/White
    Pin 7 - White/Brown
    Pin 8 - Brown/White

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can not figure out my wireless network password, I have a router and wireless network [ 2 Answers ]

I have wireless network through, router. My wireless network password is saved on my laptop. My brother wants to use his laptop in my home using my wireless network, I know my ip address how do I give him password and key I have forgotten

Alcohol testing EtG testing [ 4 Answers ]

I had a etg/alcohol test 10 days ago and had wine the evening prior? I have not heard back from the lab. Has anyone failed or passed with having alcohol in their system? Thank you. Really stressed and very stupid!!

Not on college network, my computer says it cannot detect wireless network?Belkin [ 2 Answers ]

I took my Dell laptop with me to college and used a cable to hook it up in the dorm. When I came back for the holidays my parents had gotten a new wireless card (BELKIN) for their laptop but said that they didn't change anything else. My computer used to run wireless at this home and my parents...

Linksys wireless network usb device not recognized [ 1 Answers ]

Linksys wireless network usb device not recognized

USB Device [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Western Digital external 160 gig Hd drive connected to my PC through a USB2 port. I'm running WinXP Home. For over a year the drive's been working fine. Recently for some unknown reason, the drive no longer appears in Windows under MY COMPUTER nor it is listed in the Windows Explorer so I...

View more questions Search