Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessechenven Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2006, 04:51 AM
    Baseboard heater wiring circuit
    I just finished intaling a baseboard heater and I have a question that has been nagging me. The heater is on 240 circuit. So, I ran 12/2 and used the black and white to run my two hot wires as is common practice. Please excuse my ignorance on this matter, but this got me wondering. I have always been told there is no need for a neutral wire (as you might find in the wiring for a 240 oven) because there is no need for 110/120 on the heater. My basic understanding of electricity tells me that electricity runs alond a circuit and must have a return path (normally the neutral wire in a regualr 110 outlet or light, etc.) Does this mean that the return current from my 240 heaters is coming back on the uninsulated ground? If so, is that not more dangerous than with a insulated wire? If I am missing something, please enlighten me.
    Thanks, Jesse
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2006, 01:49 PM
    No the bare equipment ground connects only to the metal frame of the heater to ground the exposed metal.

The working current only flows between the black and white of the 2 wire cable. Testing the voltage across the black and white should read 240 volts. Since 60 cycle AC (Alternating Current) changes direction 120 times per second, you can imagine that the black is the return for the white, and the white is the return for the black, 60 times per second for each wire.

If the black, or the white, or even the heating element, were to short out to the metal frame/housing of the heater, then the ground wire will provide a path to drain off, so to speak, the voltage that all of a sudden is now in the metal housing. This current flow, since now no longer is going through the heating element, will try to rise to infinity, and the high current flow will trip the circuit breaker or blow the fuse.

So be sure to connect the bare ground wire to the metal housing of the heater, there is usually a green screw in the junction box for this. And be sure the bare ground is connected to the equipment ground bar back at the panel.

Both legs or wires of a 240 volt circuit are live, in a 120 volt circuit only the black is live, since the white (neutral) is grounded. In theory, if the neutral was not grounded, then the white would be live also. In North America, the neutral is grounded so that there is only one wire live in a 120 volt system.

In Europe, they use a 220 volt system, and similar to here, they ground one leg of their system, so that one leg is hot and the other appears to dead, since it is grounded.

I hope this makes sense to you, if not or need more info , get back with those questions.
    ptnoble Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 05:46 PM
    Good explanation Tkrussell. I am in the process of running wires for a 2500 watt, 240v baseboard heater. I am using 12/2 with the white taped black for the supply. My question is about the thermostat, the wire required for this, and how to wire it.

The owners manual for the unit I have is here:
    http://www.cadetco.com/support/ownersguides/1004.pdf

Does the thermostat and the current supply get wired together on the heater? Is standard "thermostat wire" good for this? I am also being introduced to the concept of double and single pole thermostat. Can someone explain the difference and advantages. Any difference in the thermostat wire for either. I have not bought my thermostat yet but plan on something very simple.
    ptnoble Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Okay, I'm answering part of my own question. It seems a baseboard heater thermostat works at line voltage (in this case 240v) rather than the small small volatage of other heating system thermostats. So it seems to me, the thermostat in the case of a baseboard just acts as a switch and is wired preety much the same way you would wire a switch to a light. That is current goes in one side of the stat, out the other, and then travels on to the baseboard heater. Do I have this right?
    gabriolastyle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2011, 10:14 PM
    Each breaker on your double pole breaker installed in panel is out of phase so the negative and positive can travlle back and forth down both hot wires ;)
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2011, 04:22 AM
    Please take an electrical course, as this is incorrect:

Quote Originally Posted by gabriolastyle View Post
    each breaker on your double pole breaker installed in panel is out of phase so the negitive and positive can travlle back and forth down both hot wires ;)
    A typical home has a single phase service, so how can two legs be "out of phase"?

In North America, and most of the world, alternating current is used, there is not positive and negative wires.
    rovo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2012, 01:08 PM
    While standard 240VAC house wiring is referred to as single phase, it really depends on the point of reference. Think of the 240VAC as being sourced from a center tapped transformer where the center tap is grounded. As such, each leg is 120VAC referenced to ground but is 240VAC when measured across the two hot legs. The reality is each leg is 180 degrees out of phase to the other leg. A simple (and correct) way of describing the wiring is 2-phase 120 VAC when referenced to ground.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical baseboard heater [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am installing two baseboard heaters in an additionn (two separate rooms). I will be running new wire and putting them on the same circuit. The heaters will be 48" 240V rated at 1000 Watts (4.2 amps). My qestions: -What size wire should I use (12/3, 10/3, etc.)? -What should the amp...

Thermostat and electrical baseboard wiring [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just installed 2 thermostat and 2 baseboards but none are heating... I wonder if my wiring is OK. I have 120 on both wires in the baseboard but no heat at all... here is a diagram of my wiring. The wiring in my baseboard is OK. On one side, I have 2 wires linked with a wirenut and on the...

3A Toe Heater on Microwave Circuit? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Group! Does anyone know if it is permissible to put a toe heater in the kitchen on the same 20A circuit as the microwave? The circuit only has the microwave on it. Any help greatly appreciated!:confused:

Baseboard heater help [ 2 Answers ]

I have to replace a missing baseboard heater 110 volt 1500 watt all I can find at home depot Lowe's etc is 220 volt can I use one of those hooked to 110 I do understand the output would be lower but actually don't need that much heat in that room anyway Thanks Gene

Wiring 220 baseboard heaters newbie [ 2 Answers ]

Hi . I am having probles setting up 2 baseboard heaters in my living room. I have the two of heaters connected and both wires going back to a thermostat box. Any help with how to connect the two heaters to a thermostat. I have a thermostat with a L1 and a t1 marked on them. I took it as L1 to main...

View more questions Search