Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jun 21, 2006, 08:43 PM
    Find the date a rifle was made [subject changed so as not to confuse ScottGem ;) ]
    A number of years ago, I was given a rifle that belonged to my grandfather. It is a Winchester Model 67-22 Short. These particular models do not have serial numbers so dating them is difficult. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with these rifles and could give me some pointers on how to date it.

The best info I've found is that they made 383,000 between 1934 to 1963. Based on some info I found regarding the screw head, I believe it was made prior to 1937.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2006, 03:38 AM
    Found a few tidbits here that might help:
    * The takedown screw head didn't protrude after 1937.
    * After production of @ 125,000, the triggers were grooved.
    * After production of 134,000 the tirggers were ungrooved.
    * Early guns had bolts, triggers, safeties, cocking pieces and trigger guards chromed.
    * Earlier guns had finger grooves on forends.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2006, 06:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Northwind_Dagas
    I found that info too, but it was the only thing I found.
    Yeah, you've got a toughie on your hands. I found plenty of webpages of people asking the same question... with really no concrete answers.

Here's a trial version of software that might have something on it:
    http://nmcollector.net/nmguncollector/

You might also try one of the two books mentioned here:
    http://www.armchairgunshow.com/tufvalues.htm#trade

... or check for a local (city or state) gun collector's association in your area...

If you ever figure out a key ID feature for narrowing down the date on it, let us know.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 22, 2006, 06:29 AM
    I will ask my hubby as he is a master gunsmith and deals in quite a few antiques and collectables.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 22, 2006, 10:15 AM
    I keep seeing this subject as I browse the new posts list and I keep wanting to ask:

Why would you date a rifle, is she as hot as a pistol?

::: Ducking :::

Scott<>
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jun 22, 2006, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I keep seeing this subject as I browse the new posts list and I keep wanting to ask:

Why would you date a rifle, is she as hot as a pistol?

::: Ducking :::

Scott<>
    Booo! Hisss! <throws rotten tomato>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't date men? [ 20 Answers ]

I don't know if I am posting this in the right forum but anyway. Me and my ex broke up in June of last year. I have pretty much moved on from him. I think that I am the type of person that will not completely move on until I fall for someone else, but I have basically moved on pretty well and I...

After a first date [ 10 Answers ]

Met a guy a few months ago through a friend's birthday party and I ended up getting his number. Anyway, we decided to finally meet up on Sunday just gone... its now Thursday night and I haven't heard from him. Thought date went really well, we had a laugh and joke and a kiss at the end. I text...

To-date total based on current date [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I am trying to create a forumula that will give a cumulative or "to-date" total that will exclude future months from the total. i.e. ithe point in time is August and I need to show a to-date number Through August only even though September and October are included in The...

Too soon to date? [ 10 Answers ]

heyy everyone, I just got out of a two year relationship last month. It was a downhill relationship after the first year and a half I knew he had changed his mind on wanting to be with me and get married. We had marriage plans, I was very close to his family and spent every day for the past 2...

F-1 to H-1, what's the start date of H-1? Should be approval date or visa issue day? [ 3 Answers ]

As I mention before, I changed from F-1 to H-1 last year. I got my H-1 status in Feb 2004, but I went to my home country to get the H-1 visa stamp in August 2004. So I would like to know for counting my H-1 status, is it the date that USCIS (the Immigration) approved (which is Feb 1st), or the...

View more questions Search