Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JackSk3llington Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2006, 06:15 PM
    Chain pulled out! Nowhere to turn!
    Hello, I own a Hampton Bay ceiling fan and it has two chains, one for fan speeds and one for the light. I have a switch on the wall that enables me to turn both on or off and the chains allow me to switch them individually. I just left the room after a conversation and pulled the light chain and the chain came with me. Now my light is off, won't turn on with the switch and I cannot turn the light back on. I looked at the "Ceiling fan pull chain replacement/repair" topic, but that dealt with the wires, and I need to merely re-attatch the chain. If anyone could respond I would be grateful since it is for a child's room, and they are afraid of the dark.

Awaiting a response,

Philip
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2006, 06:47 PM
    I am not sure where the chain broke... can you see any of the chain sticking out of the brass ring that it was in?? If so you can get a new chain and it will have a coupling type connecter on it, just connect it to the chain you see sticking out. If you can not see the chain then you will have to take the bottom cover off, it will be the one that had the light chain coming out of it. When you get this off you can see where the chain is broken and maybe you can tell what needs to be replaced. If you get the cover off and need more help leave a post with the info of what you can see as to where the chain is broken or if it came out of a conector...
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2006, 09:19 PM
    Ok, you can't reattach the chain if it is pulled out of the socket. You have to get an entire new pullchain assembly (switch) and wire it in place of the old one. It's actually very easy.

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...and-repair.php
    JackSk3llington Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2006, 09:28 AM
    Okay, thank you both very much, I'm off to the hardware store to purchase a new assembly and wire.

Cheers
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2006, 08:54 PM
    Let us know if it works!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan string pulled out [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I went to turn on my 1 yr old ceiling fan and the string just pulled right out. Now my fan is stuck in the high mode... is there anything I can do to easily remedy this? I cannot get the fan off at all w/out this string... I can only change it's direction. I am NOT very handy at all, so...

Pulled Fuse on '97 Prelude Now Won't Start [ 2 Answers ]

My radio and power to the cigarette lighter died while I was driving. I pulled over and started checking the fuses unfortunately with the vehicle running. When I pulled the fuse under the dash marked ACC the car quit running. I didn't think anything of it at the time. I just figured that after I...

Timing chain? [ 2 Answers ]

?? My '72 Bonneville has begun to diesel when accelerating. It began just when really pressing hard, but now does it on slow starts from a stop sign. I've put high octane in it, to no avail. It currently has 122K; does it sound like the timing chain's slipped?

Chain saw [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 14" chain saw but haven't used it in several years. I put in gas and oil and it started right up. I changed the saw blade and added gear and sprocket oil. Now the saw smokes and drips oil. Also the blade doesn't come to a complete stop when the trigger is released. I moves at a slow pace...

View more questions Search