Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    strong__dan Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Nov 14, 2008, 09:32 PM
    Teaching abroad
    If I want to teach german overseas there and I'm from canada. How do I do that? I'm taking german in university doi need any other courses?
    SBowman Posts: 71, Reputation: 6

Nov 14, 2008, 10:18 PM

From what I know, it depends on what you plan on teaching overseas, and where. Do you plan on teaching German in Germany? You never specified where. If you plan to sell yourself as a private tutor, you'll need credentials that just seem impressive. There's no set prerequisite, but you'll likely need something that would be seen as relative to your job, such as a major in German.

If you're taking German in university and plan to teach it in high school or above elsewhere, you might want to pre-enroll in more advanced German courses with the note that you may be studying abroad. Studying in Universities elsewhere will also help your German significantly as well as make your credentials more applicable. Additionally, you don't even need to take a full 3-4 years elsewhere, but rather overseas study for up to a year. I know this is how a lot of Chinese and Japanese is done, and I could guess that it won't be too different in German.

Ask your registrar's office and if you do your German profs. See if any of them are Germans teaching in Canada, and how they came to teach here may provide insight as to how you may further continue your search into teaching overseas. Each university does it differently, so I can't give you direct instructions as to how to do it.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2008, 02:00 AM

Hi, strong__dan!

I do agree with the answer by SBowman above. I would like to add that to know the specific requirements for a teacher to teach at any particular institution, it would be best to contact those institutions directly. Any country also might have specific requirements beyond having a degree and/or diploma.

You might also be required to be licensed in some way. To know about that, an embassy for a particular country would most likely be able to provide you with the information as to the requirements for teachers.

To teach anywhere, if you go through the course of study that is specifically designed to train people to teach is most likely going to be looked upon more highly by the people who hire you, than if you just took certain classes without being trained to actually teach.

I wish you the best!

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teaching in the USA [ 2 Answers ]

Hi gyus, I am a qualified Teacher of Secondary Mathematics in the UK would I be able to teach in the USA and how do I do it. Many thanks Louay

Teaching isn't for me, now what? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, This is my 2nd year teaching and I'm miserable. I love "teaching," but feel I'm unable to do that because of all of the politics involved. I have a BA in Elementary Education from a N.C. university and need some direction towards another career path. I have only 5 months of this school...

Teaching Abroad [ 1 Answers ]

Is anyone aware of any schools that offer positions to US citizens to teach in their country for a period?

The Joy of Teaching [ 5 Answers ]

Then Jesus took his disciples up the mountain and, gathering them around him, he taught them, saying: Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven Blessed are the meek Blessed are they that mourn Blessed are the merciful Blessed are they that thirst for justice...

Teaching [ 3 Answers ]

Which fields or careers are most welcoming to former teachers or teachers seeking to transition out of teaching?

View more questions Search