Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Jun 21, 2006, 08:28 AM
    Home Security for the 21st Century
    I was looking to survey what services and fees (if any) people subscribe to for their home security system. In addition, if you are using a pay/fee-based service - do you feel the cost/fee is reasonable?

Secondly, what feature(s) do you like the best about the system?

If you ignore service or equipment costs, what enhancements would you like to add to a security system?

In conclusion, I feel that most security systems are generic and bare bones oriented. As consumers migrate from traditional phone service towards cellular only, phone-based security monitoring services will continue to decline. As a systems integrator, I see an abundance of free/low-cost PCs, video products, networking alternatives and cellular capabilities, I am seriously considering designing a full-blown - low-cost - security system that will run over whatever services (internet, cellular, telephone, etc) users have a/o need.

Any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated... :D
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Jun 21, 2006, 09:33 AM
    I didn't invest in an alarm system until my house was broken into...

I now have a remotely monitored system that I pay for every month. I'm sure my system is one of the "bare bones" ones you mention, but everyone in my house can use it, and I definitely think it is worth the price I pay.

There's a balance between cost and risk...
    If a criminal is determined to steal something you have, they'll find a way to get it - regardless of what system you put in. Keeping bored teenagers from sliding out your window and slipping into your basement is much easier. Both tasks have different costs tied to them.

My idea of what "low cost" is might be significantly different from yours. For example, I'm not willing to spend hundreds of dollars on equipment, but a reasonable monthly fee for monitoring my alarm and calling the police if needed, is worthwhile to me.

I am probably not the intended user of a "full blow" system, so I wouldn't be willing to pay the cost of such a system.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Jun 21, 2006, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Press2Esc
    I was looking to survey what services and fees (if any) people subscribe to for their home security system. In addition, if you are using a pay/fee-based service - do you feel the cost/fee is reasonable?

Secondly, what feature(s) do you like the best about the system?

If you ignore service or equipment costs, what enhancements would you like to add to a security system?

In conclusion, I feel that most security systems are generic and bare bones oriented. As consumers migrate from traditional phone service towards cellular only, phone-based security monitoring services will continue to decline. As a systems integrator, I see an abundance of free/low-cost PCs, video products, networking alternatives and cellular capabilities, I am seriously considering designing a full-blown - low-cost - security system that will run over whatever services (internet, cellular, telephone, etc) users have a/o need.

Any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated.... :D
    you do not need to pay a company to monitor you home, you could instal a system that would page you ( or 911)with message ( to indicate certain problem) monitor company usually locate in another state; they will call your local fire/police department and report the problem for you, have your alarm power back up by a UPS... loss of power will also trip off alarm
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Jun 22, 2006, 07:44 AM
    Automatic pages to 911 sound good, until you start getting those $100 response fee's from the local police department for responding to your false alarms...

More than a few times I've had pets, maintenance people, wind, the kids, and just plain human error set off my alarm...

That's why the human monitored alarm system wins for me. They can listen to what's going on in the house, and if it's obvious a B&E is in progress they can call the cops on the spot. For anything else, they call me and indicate what's going off and ask me if I want the police dispatched.
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 22, 2006, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by phillysteakandcheese

If a criminal is determined to steal something you have, they'll find a way to get it - regardless of what system you put in.
    My i
    I agree. Same goes for locks.
    I refuse to be freaked out by the salesmen and have no alarms.
    Same for my car. Who'd want to steal MY junkmobile?
    Then again, who drives a stick nowadays? :)

Jun 26, 2006, 10:08 AM
    All answers are valid, thanks for the feedback...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 26, 2006, 06:13 PM
    In our home in Atlanta I have a monitered security system, including door, window and motion detectors. I also have security bars ( nice looking) on all the windows and doors ( metal frames and bars) I use motion detectors outside to operate iights with video monitoring.
    When we lived there full time, we also had a guard dog in the fenced yard.

We keep all the bushes trimmed down so no one could hide under them.

In our TN home, we use monitered fire and alarm system with motion dectors, door and window alarms, also the windows are fixed not to open more than a few inches.

Jun 26, 2006, 06:45 PM
    Looks like you've got a nice setup & you've definitely got your "homes in order"... however, I still think its just a matter of time before you "introduce" your GA home to your TN home. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    In our home in Atlanta I have a monitered security system, including door, window and motion detectors. I also have security bars ( nice looking) on all the windows and doors ( metal frames and bars) I use motion detectors outside to operate iights with video monitoring.
    When we lived there full time, we also had a guard dog in the fenced yard.

We keep all the bushes trimmed down so no one could hide under them.

In our TN home, we use monitered fire and alarm system with motion dectors, door and window alarms, also the windows are fixed not to open more than a few inches.

Jun 26, 2006, 07:03 PM
    Agreed philly.. the "bare bones", probably translates to meeting the majority of customers requirement/needs. That's why my original question. The technology is there, not sure the market is...

Speaking of teenagers, there are cell-based services that will track your children whereabouts... oddly enough, we've been doing that for pets for years. :(

Quote Originally Posted by phillysteakandcheese
    I didn't invest in an alarm system until my house was broken into ...

I now have a remotely monitored system that I pay for every month. I'm sure my system is one of the "bare bones" ones you mention, but everyone in my house can use it, and I definitely think it is worth the price I pay.

If a criminal is determined to steal something you have, they'll find a way to get it - regardless of what system you put in. Keeping bored teenagers from sliding out your window and slipping into your basement is much easier. Both tasks have different costs tied to them.

My idea of what "low cost" is might be significantly different from yours. For example, I'm not willing to spend hundreds of dollars on equipment, but a reasonable monthly fee for monitoring my alarm and calling the police if needed, is worthwhile to me.

I am probably not the intended user of a "full blow" system, so I wouldn't be willing to pay the cost of such a system.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2008, 05:49 PM
    I have been installing security systems for Many Years, and as they were sold from one company to the other. I maintained all systems in use down here, the big companies would rip out nice panels and install their monkey panel(very cheap)they work, monitoring is their big thing. Ademco and DSC are Nice and have many capabilities. I prefer the DSC
    Power series 5010. 8 zones, expandable to 32, can add wireless receiver, motions and contacts, an automation board for local and remote access to your system.(you can arm/disarm, or whatever) The big companies have screwed or mislead customers down here, so I provided free monitoring. I Use a 4 channel dialer. It will call you or several others of a problem. Plus it is FREE
    I also like the wireless door switches for Bilge monitoring, if battery, pump or float switch fail, this second float will trigger transmitter and dial me, by cell or any number I program into it.
    I have the same transmitter in my Van.
    Since you are also an integrator, this is a very capable system, can be modified many ways. Infrared or phone control, or computer if you wanted(Don't have to)
    I like no computer control on my automation stuff due to booting problems, glitches, viruses and delay.
    The automation board will also allow control of your thermostat remotely, and control of X10 or PLC devices

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Study of foreign languages in the 18th century [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing a paper on Gulliver's Travels for university and I would appreciate if you could help me with this question: Did people in the 18th century give any importance to the learning of a foreign language? Was it a normal practice to learn a foreign language? I am particularly interested in...

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

99 Buick Century rough idel [ 1 Answers ]

My 99 Buick idles slow, service engine soon light.. stayes on, car seemes to run OK, under power , just idles slow and engine runs rough at idle is there anything I can check or replace myself thanks ssg:

Buick Century - Turn Signal problem [ 0 Answers ]

On my wife's 98 Century, the right (passenger side) turn signal fast flashes. This is supposed to indicate the light is out, but the light works though it flashes fast as well. The light socket was replaced less than 6 months ago. At that time, when the fast flashing started the light was out. ...

Security [ 3 Answers ]

Recently divorcing and having utilized many different options to get information from husbands cell, computer, etc. via this site... I've come to realize that security is not as secure as one may think. Can anyone tell me a program or system (I'm not computer literate here) that can secure your...

View more questions Search