Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Estraiya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2008, 11:17 AM
    What Career path should I take?
    I am having a lot of difficulty deciding what I should do once I am finished my B.A. in Anthropology (it is my major, sociology is my minor). I am in my third year of my undergrad and am 20 years old. I do enjoy the courses I am taking and if I had the money or was paid to go to school I would continue for the rest of my life. I love it, I love learning many different things. I have considered being a professor however I'm not sure. This semester has been particularly tough with my being ill and my Dad being extremely ill. I have always been interested as well in the human body. I am curious about genetics and was wondering whether I should do another 4 years of undergrad to prepare for med school. (my dad being ill made me want to be able to help out in some way medical wise) However, that is a lot of schooling and money and I want to be certain that that is what I should be doing.I also want to start making money before I am 30. I would also like to have a job where I can live comfortably and afford to have a few kids. I also have my life guarding, first aid and CPR and enjoy the aspect of knowing what to do in case someone is injured. I also enjoy going to the gym and am interested in nutrition and general well being. The thought of being a trainer also interests me. Henceforth, I am not sure what I should be doing after my undergrad. Any suggestions as to what profession I should go into would really be appreciated.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2008, 05:34 AM

Hi, Estraiya!

I do apologize that no one has yet come along to address your question!

My first suggestion to you is that you follow in your heart as to what you would like to do. We can't do everything that we might like to do.

If you choose things to do that are in related fields, then you'll be more likely to do more of those kinds of things that you would like to do that are related to the dreams you have of doing those things.

Most people have a dream of something that they'd like to do and be. Sounds like you have a number of dreams concerning that. I too, have had a number of dreams as to what I would like to be and do.

However, most of the things that I do are related in some way. Most of them also concern music and other types of arts, such as, teaching, performing, creating, composing, directing, musical instrument building and maintenance... There are actually a few other things that I do to make a living, but I won't go into describing them here.

I think that the important thing is not to get so spread out and diversified so as to be unable to concentrate the best that you can on any one endeavor and that, if you're obligated to others to complete a task, that you've given yourself enough time and preparation so as to allow you to meet your obligations to them.

You're young, and if going to school for awhile longer is the thing that you're able to do, in order to fulfill your dreams, then I would say go for it!

I'm 52 and have changed career paths a number of times in my life. I will never stop changing and evolving. I find life to be much more interesting that way! Why stop learning and growing in your "richness" when there is so much out there to learn and do!

Like me, you sound like a person who might prefer to have variety in life and not just the same old grind, day-in and day-out.

So many choices and so many decisions to make, really, if you're the kind of person who wants to move ever onward and upward in life being the best person that you can be rather than just being satisfied with "well, this is the way that it's always been, and always will be..."

When addressing difficulties, apparent barriers and things that might cause you to think that you've failed, please remember that you can turn "scars into stars". But, it's a matter of the choices that you make in making positive and proactive decisions in doing that.

To re-cap a bit here:

Follow your heart.

Don't take on so much that you're unable to complete anything that you take on.

If you have the time and energy to do something and know that you'll be able to do it well without it hampering anything else that you might take on, then it's probably okay to do it.

A really big part of life is about making choices. Best to chose wisely without allowing one choice made to be an impingement on another choice.

You can turn "scars into stars", but it's a matter of the choices that you make.

I'm sorry to hear about you and your dad being ill! I hope that you're both much better now!

Hopefully, others will also come along to address your concerns.

I wish you all the best! :)

Thanks!
    Brainiac01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 08:10 AM
    Comment on Clough's post
    This mister has given the answer as HE himself has came.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Career Path Should I Choose? [ 8 Answers ]

I did the Navy thing for 4 years before going to college; this is a big career change for me. I realized the possibility of making bigger gains by being independent and successfully completing a college degree. However, I miss having a salary, having surplus cash, being able to buy Subway or better...

Career Path [ 1 Answers ]

I have one and a half year experience in Siebel Functional Testing plus 6 months internship in Siebel technology(completed a project during internship).Worked on CRM and PRM modules. What type of career prospects I have ?

Confused about my career path [ 4 Answers ]

I didn't get to do the subjects that qualified me to go into the medical field and now I'm confused. Instead I ended up doing the arts and now I have to choose a career that matches the arts. So I have to now become a journalist or reporter and I don't really want to do that. I want to become...

View more questions Search