Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ross1238 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2008, 08:52 AM
    Visitation rights without the courts?
    My ex and I split up 8 months ago and for six months she would let me see our three children whenever I wanted overnight or just for the day. Recently I started dating again. I told her that I had found someone and that I was happy now she's telling me that I can't see my kids. That her lawyer says it's not a good idea. We haven't gone through the court system yet. What rights do I have? Can she stop me from having my kids on the weekends?

{mvoed from Intoductions - <>}
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2008, 08:56 AM
    You have the right to see your kids, but you would have to go to court to enforce those rights. Unless she is willing, you can't force her to allow you visitation without a court order.

P.S. Please pay attention to the site rules. I moved this from the Introductions forum which is clearly marked as NOT the place to ask questions. We hope you go back and post there with a little something about yourself.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2008, 05:58 PM

If you are not in the court system why does she have a lawyer? Is she expecting to get into court on this soon?

You need to simply file an action for something like divorce if you were married (we call it dissolution), a petition to establish parental relationship if not, or what we in California call a Petition for Custody and Support of Minor Children (which is a fairly odd type of case you rarely see). In that case file a motion for custody and visitation and get orders on when the kids are with you. You'll get overnights if you want them and also on weekends.

She's just pulling this nonsense on you because you are not with her any more, is probably jealous, and it's a way of striking back. Don't put up with it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 15, 2008, 06:16 PM

Are you married, ex does not really tell us.
    Are you on the birth certificate ?

If you are not married and not on the birth certificate you actually don't have any rights till you go to court.

But you can not force her, so you have to play nice by her rules till you go to court.

Nov 16, 2008, 05:40 PM

No we were not married, we were together for 8 years. I am on the birth certificates. Thank you for everyone's advice
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 16, 2008, 06:42 PM

If you are on the because you are their legal father. Unless she can prove you unfit, you have a right to see your children. The problem though, is youi have to enforce that right. If she refuses to let you have the children for weekends or even visit with them, you can't barge in and take them. You have to go to court and get a visitation order in place, then, if she refuses to let you have the kids, you can ask the court to enforce its order.

On a side note, when you chose the Introductions forum to post in, didn't you see the notice that it was not the place to ask questions? To get to that forum you had to bypass several foumrs like Family Law and Parenting which would have been more appropriate places to post, may I ask why you bypassed them?

Nov 16, 2008, 06:54 PM

Didn't see that stuff, very sorry. Was a little confused

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get the Courts here in Texas to enforce my visitation order? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a child that I have not seen in a few years and I am paying child support on this child. Every time I try to see her the mother comes up with all kinds of excuses. I call the child support office and they stated they do not get involved in these matters. Is my only option to hire a...

Visitation Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a single parent and my ex boyfriend has Seizures and now he wants to take the baby to his new house were he lives with his new girl who doesn't like me and I don't know how she would treat my daughter and I don't know if he has seizure while he is holding her what would happen to her. But since...

Visitation Rights [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I live in Florida and would like to know if my 14 year old daughter can make a decision as to when she spends time with me. She says she wants to be with her friends and that she doesn't want to come to my house so much. My wife and I moved to Naples 3years ago and they still live in Miami....

Visitation Rights? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about visitation rights as an aunt. My brothers wife will not allow any of my family to see my nephew without my brother or her being there, but she will allow her family take him for days at a time. Is there something I can do as an aunt so that I can spend a few hours with my...

View more questions Search