Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rd68 Posts: 122, Reputation: 10

Jun 20, 2006, 10:02 PM
    Starting my own small business
    I am trying to start my own lawn business and I've already have some business cards put out on mailboxes ext. and flyers.now my question is how long do I have to wait before someone calls it been 3 weeks now.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2006, 10:26 PM
    There is no specific amount of time.

Did you advertise in the right place?

If you are opening a dog day care, advertising in senior citizens homes might not be the best idea.

And if it doesn't work, try again.

Jun 20, 2006, 10:34 PM
    Yes I placed cards in convenance stores,Video stores,auto stores and some others.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2006, 10:36 PM
    What is your business about?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 21, 2006, 04:51 AM
    There is no waiting! You need to get busy doing other things that will advertise your service. How about offering to cut the grass or spruce up the landscape of a few non-profit places for free. This can set word-of-mouth in motion and land you a few paying customers!

Jun 21, 2006, 05:40 AM
    Thanks for your replys.But I already work for a lawn service and the person is terrible at paying me and working me. I 'll work for long enough to get the money I need to buy more equipment.So I really don't have much time to mow yards for word of mouth.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2006, 05:47 AM
    How about through letter boxes of people's house with big lawns?

Or even drive round a nice neighbourhood and knock on doors and advertise your company by speaking directly to them - then give your card.

Jun 21, 2006, 06:12 AM
    I've already put cards on mail boxes. And I haven't started knocking on doors yet.
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2006, 06:19 AM
    Maybe its time u start knocking :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 21, 2006, 06:37 AM
    Have you approached some of the people who's homes you currently service?

Starting up a business like this is an uphill battle because there are probably already a number of businesses to compete with. This means you have to set yourself apart. Have you talked to local nurseries, hardware stores? Maybe set up a referral program with them.

To get people who already have a service, you are going to have to offer them an incentive to switch. This will most likely take the form of discounts or price beating. You probably need to expect to do no more than break even and maybe lose money until you can establish a clientele.

Good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 21, 2006, 04:05 PM
    It is hard to start, after you get started, most of your mowing will come from refferals, example I had a visitor to my home Tuesday, I was telling them what a great job my yard service did, he got a reference and now he does that yard also.

I got him because he was doing a good job in the yard next to my office.

At this time of year manypeople already have someone, so unless they are doing a bad job, they likely won't change unless you really underprice.

So you will have to knock on doors, talk to people at the market, talk to people at the gas station, everywhere you go talk to people
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2006, 06:54 PM
    I agree with Scott.

Just take all your current clients.

If you charge them $100 for you current boss, charge them $80, and you keep all 80!
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2006, 07:43 PM
    When I was a kid, I went door to door every Saturday morning and offered my services. I got Approx. 1 out of 10 lawns. If that is your only option, then I say get to knocking! After they pay you, which means they were happy with your work, tell them you will be back next week. Then, get back to knocking!
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2006, 11:56 PM
    Magrob - wow I didn't realise that, different laws you see in the US and Europe.
    Thanks for the info :)
    Cassie Posts: 150, Reputation: 46

Jun 22, 2006, 03:25 AM
    Look your best, knock on doors, saying you have a lawn care business and if they have someone or don't want one now, ask to leave your card in case they need someone in the future. Did you try going to the employment office. Often times if someone just needs someone while they are on vacation, busy or ill, they call the employment office. They do not call a lawn care service as it may only be for 1 or 2 times, services are usually not interested in that. It could get your shoe in the door and word of mouth is the best advertisement. Check business, sometimes they are not satisfied with who they have.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 22, 2006, 04:09 PM
    If you work for someone now in their lawn service and they catch you trying to steal their customers, you're likely to end up with lots of time to mow yards for word of mouth references LOL :p
    Dennis White Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 05:20 AM
    Where in Barbados do I register my Small Business ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 26, 2007, 06:16 AM
    Check with the local Chamber of Commerce or the government offices.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What I need to register a business and where do I go [ 2 Answers ]

Where would I go to find out what I need as far as Tax Id numbers, if the business name I am wanting to use is available and how do I register my business.

Starting a business at a young age [ 4 Answers ]

I am starting a computer business and I am only 16, my question is "will people trust me although i am young" will I get any business at all please respond thank you..

Feeling small... [ 31 Answers ]

I went to London yesterday with my boyfriend Pete, and 6 of his friends. 5 of them are going to Italy with us in September for a holiday. We also have a weekend away to France Planned over Easter. Pete and his mate Dave came up with the France Idea and incorporated me to go with them. I...

Have a small problem [ 38 Answers ]

[ :confused: Hi I am running windows 98Se. Celeron 850MHz.ATI viedo card and creative sound blaster live. I have my on board sound card shut off. 256 ram. I don't know what else I can tell you about my puter... Ok here is my problem When I go on to the internet to check my email at Yahoo my...

Small Question [ 2 Answers ]

Umm... (I must sound like an amateur) In SUVAT equations... How can you tell when a displacement has to be negative or positive..? Like when freefall... is the displacement +ve or -ve :-[ (if down is considered +ve) And when you throw something up (considering up as positive) is...

View more questions Search