Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tallgirliegirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2003, 01:20 PM
    Riding lawn mower
    I have 1/2 acre of lawn and wish to replace an old Craftsman mower. Sears advertises a 17-HP Kohler Pro engine, 42 inch lawn tractor for $1200.00.

Is this a good value, and do you recommend Craftsman lawn tractors?

Thanks!
    Dominique Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Jan 19, 2003, 05:58 PM
    riding lawn mower
    I put three Barbados sheep on 1/2 acre. They keep it looking like a million bucks. They are hair sheep, no sheering, no pests, very low maintenance.

Much cheaper and fun to watch, too.

Of course animals are not everyone's choice...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 4, 2003, 07:12 PM
    riding lawn mower
    Hey Girl, Forget the sheep ::). I have a 11 horse Craftsman 36" cut lawn tractor 15 years old and still going strong. You can shop around but Craftsman is a good name and they stand behind their products. Hope this helps. Tom
    chabat Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2003, 02:10 PM
    riding lawn mower
    My dad has a Craftsman mower and I do not care for it.
    conservative85 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2005, 05:18 PM
    Riding lawn mower
    Quote Originally Posted by tallgirliegirl
    I have 1/2 acre of lawn and wish to replace an old Craftsman mower. Sears advertises a 17-HP Kohler Pro engine, 42 inch lawn tractor for $1200.00.

Is this a good value, and do you recommend Craftsman lawn tractors?

Thanks!
    What year and model is your old craftsman, would you be interested in selling it?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2005, 08:59 PM
    First off, craftsman at sears has a nice deal on one, more hp, intek with a cast iron bore, full pressure lube and a oil filter. Which would be great, but any other one you get, first off, tecumseh (cheap, connecting rod with voids crap) buy briggs, my old 12hp I/C has been going since 1988 something, used twice a week more then 4 hours long at a time. Secondly, sure you may be interested in a hydro trans, either stick with a transaxle, or a shift on the go trans, they are more dependable. But as for everyone liking craftsman, you do know its made by either mtd, or ayp. (metal, tool, and die) or (american yard products), but the sears warranty is next to none since they use their own warranty, run a weeder on straight gas and blow it up, they will replace it, first time, they don't do it again on account of stupidity. And as for big hp leading, yeah for decks, I have though a 8hp briggs engine on a murray from over 20 years ago, original engine, drove a 36 inch deck, and can haul my car. But as for engines, get one with at least a cast iron bore, that or better, a industrial/commercial briggs&stratton. Since I have seen them with the synchro balanced wieghts broken off, the engine cracked spewing oil, and still running, and I/C engine can freeze up from no oil and still come back to life till the rod finally snaps (don't try it, I see idiots all the time never checking their oil)
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2005, 09:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chabat
    My dad has a Craftsman mower and I do not care for it. It is louder than mine and bogs down easier than mine in high grass. Also, his "jumps" really bad when it starts moving forward :o where as mine is very very easy to control the speed :). His is still new, too.

He must have a trans axle, my old murray can pop 3 foot wheelies if you are not careful, (let the clutch out slooooooowly) that may help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray riding lawn mower electrical problem [ 7 Answers ]

My mower runs but only as long as the battery has a charge. And then it dies, so what could be the problem? Please help I have a huge lawn and a push mower just doesn't get it!!

Lawn Chief riding mower [ 6 Answers ]

Two wires got disconnected from our riding lawnmower. I need to know where the 2 red wires are supposed to go. The longer red wire is hooked to the key or kill switch and the shorter red wire is hooked to the solenoid. I think the shorter wire is for ground. The mfg. # is 0048 and the model # is...

Mtd riding lawn mower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi every one I have a very old mtd riding lawn mower that my mother gave me but it keeps throwing the drive belt. My mother thinks that the way she was putting the belt on is wrong does any one know how the belt should go on its about a 1986 model mower.

Craftsman 14.5 hp riding lawn mower [ 3 Answers ]

I bought it used it seemed OK,but now I have loss of power.I NOW have a brand new battery.What can I do to the engine or carburator to fix problem?How do I properly adjust carb?Should I overhaul the engine?I haven't found a rebuild kit for my B&S engine(14.5) Any help would be great.Somone told me...

Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower Warranty [ 4 Answers ]

I am planning to purchase a Craftsman 4000 Riding Lawn Mower, and am wondering if it is worth the money to purchase the 3 year extended warranty? Can anyone advise?

View more questions Search