Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    d_marti Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Can I put myself on child support?
    I have a nine month old son. His mother won't let me see him because I have a new girlfriend. Also I don't know if he is really mine or not. His mother won't put me on child support, But I think its because there is a chance that he may not be mine. My question is can I put myself on child support? And if I can can I request DNA?
    tarajean123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 08:07 PM

I live in the state of Illinois, and here you can request a DNA test, but if you are the father you will have to pay for the test, if you are not then she will be required to pay the bill.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2008, 10:54 AM

You can request the DNA test and visitation pending the result of the DNA test. You don't file to pay support if the test comes back that it is yours then you will get visitation and the judge will order support and if it comes back that it is not your child then you will be free and clear.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2008, 10:59 AM

Are you on the birth certificate? If not, then you should petition the court to place you on the because at which time a paternity test will be ordered.

If you are on the because then you are the legal father until challenged.

You do not have to be "put on" child support. You can contribute to the child's support on your own. But if you do I would keep records of anything you contribute.

If you want to see the child then you will have to petition the court to establish a visitation schedule.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2008, 04:29 PM

If you are not on the birth certificate, then file to be, and as Scott said a DNA test will be ordered. Once you get the results, you can go from there.
    If you are already on the birth certificate, you have all legal rights regardless... now if the child really isn't yours the mother could produce the biological father and challenge you.

You don't have to get a child support order... but if that is something you want to do you certainly can. Once you get the results of the DNA test, you just open a visitation and child support case.

Until then, it is VERY important that you keep any and all records for any monies you give the mother to support the child. The best way would be to write checks and get copies from your bank. The reason for this is if you end up in court for child support, the judge could order child support retroactive to birth... meaning you would be responsible for BACK child support from the day the child was born until present. If you have been giving money to the mother but don't have proof, and the mother isn't honest... then you will have to pay all that money again. If you go in with proof that you have been supporting the child, then they will take that amount off the back child support amount.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Legal age in Indiana to stop child support for a child in college [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know when I can legally stop paying support on my step son who is going to be 22 and is still in college

How to prove child is emancipated,so I can stop paying child support? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 18 year old child who graduated in june08.I was told by judge because of new (mass.)law I have to prove she's emancipated, in order to stop child support.She supposedly lives with her mom .doesnt go to school.I can't find any info,because she's 18(privacy laws).On court order it says I...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

View more questions Search