Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gametime Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2006, 05:47 PM
    Smell behind washer
    Hi I'm new here and I've recently started to have a smell behind my washer.
    At first I was told it was sweage smell but was later told it was stall urine.(I don't want either one). The smell seemed to be coming from the pipe that the washer discharges water into. Behind the washer I have a panel in the wall that I took off and it showed me the trap for the washer.The smell is worse there and yet no signs of wetness. I have noticed that the bathroom toilet (behind washer- with wall between them) has some water on the floor just under the toilet. This may be a stupid question but could the ring under the toilet be broken causing the smell? There is no smell in the bathroom, but some of the tile is dis-colored. Any help would be great... new home owner and don't know much... learning as we go
    Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 21, 2006, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    hi I'm new here and i've recently started to have a smell behind my washer.
    At first i was told it was sweage smell but was later told it was stall urine.(i dont want either one). the smell seemed to be coming from the pipe that the washer discharges water into. Behind the washer i have a panel in the wall that i took off and it showed me the trap for the washer.The smell is worse there and yet no signs of wetness. I have noticed that the bathroom toilet (behind washer- with wall between them) has some water on the floor just under the toilet. This may be a stupid question but could the ring under the toilet be broken causing the smell? There is no smell in the bathroom, but some of the tile is dis-colored. Any help would be great....new home owner and dont know much.... learning as we go
    Thanks.
    My guess would be the smell originates from the toilet leak, runs under the wall line and you notice the smell on the other side. Repair the leak in the toilet, run some bleach in between the wall for the smell and I'll bet it will disappear. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad smell problem - please help [ 10 Answers ]

:( I feel like crying because we can't get rid of this smell in the house and it is driving us crazy. We have our wedding reception at home in a few weeks time and I am getting really worried that we won't be able to get rid of it before then. It all started 2 or 3 weeks ago... from one day...

Kenmore Washer Burn Smell [ 2 Answers ]

I have a kenmore washer model number 110.92581210 that the motor smells like it is burning. I put a new motor on but the same thing happens. It goes into agitate but then overloads and then comes back on in about 30 seconds.Same as in spin is it possible the timer can cause the smell in the motor.

Gas smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem that my plumber has been unable to fix on a couple of occasions. Very simply put, soon after I turn on the shower, a couple of minutes or so, I get a terrible rotten egg (sewer gas?) smell. I can't tell if it starts when it starts steaming up or just because. Shower is used...

Smell after AC is ran. [ 2 Answers ]

I been getting a strange smell after the AC is ran almost like a gaseous smell, we been redoing the hardwood floors and trying to keep well ventilated with windows open and AC on to keep humidity down. I check all the gas lines with my meter for leaks and none found, could this smell be freon? Or...

Sewage smell when running washer [ 3 Answers ]

Whenever we run our washing machine, there is a strong smell of sewage in the house. The washer and toilet outlet separately. However, the vent for the toilet is connected to the vent for the washer.

View more questions Search