Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rican Gal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 05:08 PM
    Phone Etiquette
    I had an appt this afternoon with my doctor. Because I am sick I had called this morning to cancel. When I got back home from picking up my son from school I had a message on my answering machine on reference that I had not shown-up to the appt. I returned the call back and explain to the clerk that I had canceled the appt earlier this morning. While I was speaking to her she was whispering to someone else on reference to the call - which I had stated to her that I was a bother about the tone that was used when leaving the message. My question to you isn't unethical for a person to whisper to someone else while the other person on the receiver is talking and also where would I find the do' and don'ts on telephone ethics. Please advised. Thank You!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 13, 2008, 05:55 PM

They should have put you on hold, talked to the other person or looked up the info.

But then complaining about the tone of their call is not really proper etiquette either.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2008, 08:41 PM

It is standard procedure to get rude treatment at about 80% of the businesses of all types that I deal with.
    This episode doesn't surprise me one bit.
    It is disgraceful.
    The only thing you can do is complain to the person's boss or find another Dr. which is just about imposssible in my recent experience.
    And if you complain, your records get lost and you can't get an appointment.
    Yes, it is improper but rampant.
    chadley_71 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2011, 01:12 AM
    It is rude to whisper in front of any person, regardless of the situation. (Unless, of course, if you are playing a game.) The impression given is that you are talking badly about someone and you want them to know it. This is also the same as speaking a different language in front of someone that is part of your immediate group.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I transfer my cell phone contact list from phone to computer? [ 6 Answers ]

Can I transfer my cell phone contact list from my cell phone onto my computer? I have a LG AX8600 cell phone. What type cord will I need to use for my computer and cell phone?

Blocked Phone number calling wireless cell phone [ 4 Answers ]

Hello my name is Jessica. Is there anyway anyone can help me figure out a blocked number that is calling my cell phone? If there is anyway to find out who the blokced number is that is really calling me.

Australian phone american phone [ 1 Answers ]

Can you ring an Australian mobile number on an american cell phone?

How to record phone conversations from phone to PC? [ 6 Answers ]

Is there an inexpensive way to record phone conversations directly to PC using the earphone or headset jack port on the phone to either microphone line in port or USB port on PC? Does it also require special software? Here's what I want to do: My friend and I want to record our phone...

Stolen phone - am I stuck with phone charges? [ 3 Answers ]

My cell phone was stolen recently and the guy who stole it called all over the place, adding about $175 in phone charges to our phone bill. I reported it stolen to Qwest, but they say the charges are still my responsibility. I am planning to refute the bill, but I don't know the correct...

View more questions Search