Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2008, 11:43 AM
    Confidence and the President elect
    In your opinion has the President elect instilled any confidence in the US and World economy. Or are people who have/are invested in the markets reacting to his plans for the future of this country?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2008, 02:43 PM

I have mixed feelings about that. In some respects I'm fearful of the cabinet he has started to select. Some of his cabinet members are unsuitable in many respects. It's going to be a wait and see thing though. Some countries in the world already hate the US and now they have even more reason to hate us.

I, for one, don't like a lot of the proposed "changes". And a lot of those changes are not going to happen.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Nov 13, 2008, 05:28 PM

Internationally it's about perception and having Obama at the helm will be a positive. As for the actual US economy it's based on money flow, i.e. Capitalism. The Middle and lower classes in the US have been on tight budgets for years now and with inflation and the current lay-offs this is going to make for the blues this holiday season. The Federal Reserve has more economic power than any president ever on that issue alone. It's important for Obama to use his leverage in conjunction with the Federal Reserve though, something that stifled Dubya with opposition by the Democrats and his own Republican party. Personally I think we (the US) have a year or two before we see any improvement. I think Congress and Dubya are going to provide another stimulus package soon, if not I expect it to happen shortly after Obama officially takes office. Another band-aid? Yup! Probably! But IMO if we can a bailout Wall Street and the Big Three with my money, than we might as well bailout the public and give to ourselves. It's coming out of our pockets one way or the other, and that's the way it's always been.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2008, 11:04 AM

I think there are unrealistic expectations of the man . It would almost be unfair if he didn't cause them on himself.

The traditional cure alls... foreign aid, peacekeeping, bribery will be available in far smaller quantities but as you have already seen from the US businesses ;and various states and municipalities... the whole lot of them are lining up at the door with their hat's out.

The Europeans are already flexing their rhetorical muscles and suggesting that Obama join a European led west . The French are openly suggesting the basic economic model of the world should be changed starting at the upcoming G-20 meeting .

The US stock market was tanking yesterday until President Bush spoke up yesterday and told everyone to take a breath ;that the basic free-market model works. Then the US markets jumped over 500 pts. Afterward. [Bush should start by firing that lying b*stard he has running the Treasury ]

Anyway B.O. will sit on the sidelines during the G-20 and will be phone side in case they need him. If he were there he'd only vote 'present' .
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Nov 14, 2008, 04:05 PM

I will reserve judgement until after the first 100 days he is in office. However, I am interested to see if his team is as good at running the government as it was running his campaign.

Cheney, Rove and Rumsfeld's propaganda machine made some large mistakes which ultimately led to the administrations unpopularity abroad and ultimately at home here in the US. The biggest of those was to treat us like idiots who would buy pretty much anything if it was wrapped in a flag and sprinkled with faith.

President-Elect Obama made an interesting comment (I don't remember exactly when, it was late in the campaign; could have been his acceptance speech after winning the election) which was basically: "I will be honest with you, the American people".

A statement like that comes from your center, not your politics or whether you are Democrat or Republican and I am fully aware that the demands of the Office and politics in general don't allow someone to be completely forthright. However, I think moving forward that this statement alone gives me some optimism.

I think if the Bush administration would have been more forthright about the agenda for Iraq to American's and the world rather than try and sell/spin the varied bullsh.. t about our reason's for being Iraq that the American people and the world could have handled the truth.

So here is to honesty, and hoping that the President-Elect's high ideal is not corrupted by Washington or high ambitions of himself or his party; or his advisors.

As for the world, I think there is cautious optimism; and they are waiting to see the first moves of his administration, but I think they share the same hope that this administration with be more forthright about it's intentions and reasons for doing things and will welcome input by various world leaders.

I think by the end of his first hundred days in office you will see the economy showing very encouraging signs as the world end's the Bush era.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Nov 14, 2008, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    The US stock market was tanking yesterday until President Bush spoke up yesterday and told everyone to take a breath ;that the basic free-market model works. Then the US markets jumped over 500 pts. afterward. [Bush should start by firing that lying b*stard he has running the Treasury ]

So much for that theory. The stock market is back down 337 points today. If lying earned you a pink slip, Bush should had fired himself years ago.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2008, 07:04 PM

All I have to say is

America you don't know who you married for 4 years. When the honeymoon wears off you will find out much to your horror... he was not what you think.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2008, 07:56 PM

All I can say at the present time is that he had better appoint some people to his cabinet that are a lot smarter than he is, and it does not look like he is going to do it, he is still talking to the some old Washington people, such as the Clintons.
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Nov 15, 2008, 10:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu View Post
    All I can say at the present time is that he had better appoint some people to his cabinet that are a lot smarter than he is, and it does not look like he is going to do it, he is still talking to the some old Washington people, such as the Clintons.
    Most of the Clinton people where Jr. staffers during the Clinton administration. You can't have complete Washington neophytes working for you since you only have 4 years till the next election. These people have already got their feet wet and because of the situation the country is now in, these people can hit the ground running which is important and a smart move by the President-Elect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 chev 454 engine elect [ 1 Answers ]

Engine warms up and goes out of time, or may reverse polarity. Any ideas? >Moved from Forum Help<

The elect [ 3 Answers ]

To me it is pretty clear that God chose people for salvation, before that person even accepted Him... do you believe that or something different and why

Converting dryer from gas to elect. [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible to convert my gas dryer to electric or do I have to buy a new dryer?

1994 chev truck elect problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have a truck that the volt gauge flickers when it is started. The alternator was repalced twice and two different batteries. Also th whole grounding system was gone through. Now even the wipers work after the truck has been running for awhile not right away and when they start each time the brake...

View more questions Search