Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    matt0512 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 07:20 PM
    adding on
    I am going to add to my existing 10' x 16' concrete slab in the rear of my house and add a 16'x 24' enclosed room, how deep should I pour concrete in the new areas and should I secure my beams to concrete or should I sink them in the gound, Im a dock builder and this is the constrution I know. should I link the two slab together using rebarb or not? The only load on these walls should be the load of its roof.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 16, 2008, 07:27 PM

Do not bother trying to connect the slabs, allow them to be free to float seoarte from each other. You need at least 4" of concrete with rebard or steel screen set 2" down inside. This is poured over5" bed of 3/4 rock and fines that have been leveled and compacted.
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Nov 20, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Is this a room or a patio enclosure?

If this is a room you need a foundation, which could be a lot of thing, depending on location and code..

Call you local building dept
    shoproland Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Dec 5, 2008, 05:54 PM

Matt, your overall thickness should be at least 4" thick as ballenger stated. But where there is a load to bear, such as walls, there should be beams dug. On residential construction this is usually 1'x1' all the way around the perimeter centered under the walls. You may reduce this considerably if the load isn't too great. Also, a rebar beam should be laid into ditches and connected at the corners and connected to your wire mesh or rebar reinforcement grid. A lot of work but well worth it in the end. Hope this helps... good luck... Roland
    InspectorDan Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Dec 6, 2008, 08:24 AM

Sounds like a fun project. If I was doing it I would definitely pin the two slabs together by drilling horizontally into the existing slab at it's leading edge and inserting short pieces of reinforcing bar (rebar). You can epoxy the rebar into the holes that you drilled for extra resistance to pull out forces. Also, at the outside corners of the new slab I would use a Post Hole Digger (I have a Ph.D!) to go down a ways until you hit UNDISTURBED SOIL. Any foundation should be either laid on undisturbed soil or should be engineered to prevent uneven settling. As a previous responder stated it is probably a good idea to make grade beams at the perimeter of the new slab through the use of rebar that is wired together at the corners and helps keep it all together. Concrete is very strong in compression but pretty weak under tension. That is why rebar is necessary; it gives the concrete strength to 'bridge'.

You can do it, I hope we helped!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding tub [ 1 Answers ]

Im doing a bathroom reno which requires some plumbing to be moved the new tub drain now sits where the old toilet drain was the new toilet drain is moved over to the end of the tub which runs underneath the tub in the crawl space. Can I tap into that toilet 3 inch with my tub 1 1/2 drain. Thanks.

Adding ram [ 1 Answers ]

I have an HP pavilion 6835 that currently has the 128mg ram that it came with. I would like to add more RAM. I know how to install the memory stick, but because the space I have to work within the tower is so small I can't see or feel if the card is in right. I don't want to keep opening it up and...

Adding RAM? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Compaq C502US Laptop with Windows Vista Home. It came with 512 of ram. How difficult is it to add another 512 of ram? I've never even seen the inside of this laptop so if this is a fairly easy task, please provide as much detail as possible. If this is too difficult for a...

Adding a GFI [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am Adding a Fan/light in my shower stall where there was already a light. I do not think that circuit is GFI protected. What is the best way to Protect this circuit with GFI? If there was already a light there, was this suppose to be GFI already? Thanks so much for any help. RCJ

Adding a GFI [ 1 Answers ]

In my breaker box for my pool pump, there is a GFI outlet. Would it be possible to daisy chain another GFI outlet off it? I am wanting to put an outlet about sixty feet from where the box is at by my pool.

View more questions Search