Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    parakeet Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2006, 02:34 AM
    Teaching at summer school
    Hi there

I'm looking for some ideas for an ongoing project at a summer school (EFL) for kids. I usually teach business english to execs so this is quite a departure for me. I'm really looking forward to it though.

Ill have a curriculum so most of the classes will be pretty tight but I have free rein for the project. The kids are 8-18 yrs grouped according to ability. The focus is on speaking. We'll be near London so the weather could be dodgy...

Any ideas on subject/methodology etc would be hugely apprecited!

Thanks y'all xx
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2006, 04:53 AM
    Hi,
    The focus is on speaking?
    I use to teach summer school, many years ago, in math.
    One of the English teachers, at that time, used a "debate" topic in his summer class, on speaking, and getting use to speaking before others. He used the outlines for setting up a speech, and selected something that was debatable; such as Capitol Punishment.
    Using a debate subject helped those who were nervous to get over it... the speeches were great, and when it got to emotions, everyone forgot about being nervous!
    Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teaching [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to know if there are some cool internet pages about "English teaching as a second language". Thanks

English teaching [ 4 Answers ]

Hi One of my EFL students asked me: Why is it OK to say the dog of my friend, and my friend's dog... BUT NOT: Job's book and the table's leg? Thank you all for your help

Is teaching hard? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in my first year in college and I'm plannig to major in education for elementary, I would like to know if being a teacher is too much, meanig if it's a stressful job or a fun job? Also is it hard to study to be a teacher, its hard for me right now, as a freshie but I'm worried that it...

Tips/Strategies on co-teaching ESL [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am a Canadian teacher in Korea, and this is my first time being exposed to co-teaching. I am required to co-teach with a local Korean teacher of English at a public primary school, with classes as big as 35 students each. I need some helpful tips and strategies on co-teaching, and I...

Teaching [ 3 Answers ]

Which fields or careers are most welcoming to former teachers or teachers seeking to transition out of teaching?

View more questions Search