Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 06:51 PM
    Fraud committed through internet
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but I promised my co-worker that I would post this.

My co-worker met someone through a well advertised internet relationship site. She never did meet him in person due to his excuses (travel for work, visiting with son overseas, etc.) This woman I work with has a huge heart and believes everyone. Well to make a long story short, I found out today that she transferred via Western Union $20,000.00 plus to this fellow by borrowing against her credit cards. You've probably guessed by now, she has not heard from him since her last transfer to him. Well, she has now lost her house that she and her daughter were living in, she's living with a friend and her daughter is living with the daughters' uncle. This woman is too embarrassed to ask for help so I am asking for her.
    Is there anyway this creep can be tracked down? She has kept every email from him, phone records, etc. Is there any chance that she'll be able to recoup any of the money that was scammed from her?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2008, 02:25 PM

Probably not in the end. It would just depend is he in this country or still is. Phone numbers can be disconnected. People can move around. Internet accounts closed, etc. I would not be too optimistic about her ever seeing a dime from this guy. Just my take on the problem at hand, Flossie. One possible way would be if she sent the money via Western Union to the same location and they kept track of his d/l info or had a surveillence camera or the info he used to collect the money at his end. Start with Western Union first. If they do keep some sort of records at the other end, have her file a police report and see if they can retrieve the info from them. But even if they do catch the guy he's just going to say the money was a gift from your big hearted friend...
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2008, 02:35 PM

Can I ask what exactly was the money for, what did he/she need it for? Was there any kind of promise of repayment?

It would be highly doubtful that they could find and prosecute this person in their home country's legal system but you never know...
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2008, 09:00 AM

She says his business was "in trouble" and she wanted to help him out.
    I've finally persuaded her to go to the police, she is going on Monday. She is also going to have to file for personal bankruptcy which she is not very proud of.
    She apparently sent the money to this creeps "lawyer" and had spoken to this said lawyer a couple of times by phone.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 15, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Sounds like a classic 419 scam to me, sorry there's not much that can be done.

Advance-fee fraud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    mike_edwards Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2008, 11:45 AM

Yes, the money on western union is hard to track, normally goes to third world nations where there is little police action.

But most likely it was all done though fake names and pre paid cell phone numbers.

She needs to go to the police but sadly she needed to be smarter also.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2008, 04:32 PM

Another good point is that if your friend sent money to help his business and they ever find him all he has to do is claim she was investing in his company and the business went under.

Unless she got some kind of signed documents showing it was a loan and not an investment in the company she is out of luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insurance Fraud/Advance commission fraud [ 10 Answers ]

I'm sure this post with be confusing to some of you but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was hired back in October of 2005 as an independent contractor selling life insurance policies. One of my clients that I sold a policy to mentioned that she had a few family members that were...

Accused with fraud not committed [ 4 Answers ]

If an item is mis priced from the company and you purchase it knowing the price is wrong but it's a good opportunity, can you be charged with fraud under $5000? Also let's say you are charged in court since you didn't do anything to do with fraud would thus charge be dropped...

Internet Fraud [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Friends, I was looking for travel deal to India last summer. I have placed an ad in Sulekha.com - Connecting Indians worldwide. Read write Blogs, Groups, Classifieds, Yellow Pages, Movies, Travel and one guy contacted me saying that he would give me the best deal because he has some relations...

Internet Fraud [ 2 Answers ]

I placed an order on the internet 3/15/07 and still have not received it . I have sent them 3 e-mails ,but no response.I have also contacted the better business bureu. Wher do I go from here. Thanks Not Happy

Internet fraud [ 20 Answers ]

I received an order for a large sum of money over the internet. We corresponded only via e mail. I ran the credit cards ( 3 ) through and the transaction seemed to be valid. I waited until visa put the money in my account before I used some of this money to order this specialized product that...

View more questions Search