Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Alitalia and Numerous Claims; No Response in Almost a Year
    In January, my boyfriend and I flew from italy to miami, and then to New York to attend my father's wedding. We went through Alitalia. They lost 2 of our maximum size, maximum weight bags, which included every single item my boyfriend brought, from clothes and shoes to electronics, everything he needed for the wedding, some of my clothes, and gifts. It was horrible. We tried contacting Alitalia in every way possible for our entire week in miami, but no one ever contacted us back. In the end, it appeared that we were being directed to "false" offices, where no one really works or contacts anyone.

Our only luck came from the fact that I purchased our tickets through an American Express platinum card, and the AMEX people were extremely diligent in trying to help us in every way. We left miami without the bags, forwarded them our next address in New York, and wound up there in the middle of the freezing weather.

We were told that we would be covered once we gathered the recipets for any necessary items. Well, we bought what was needed, saved the receipts, and then sent all of that information to Alitalia via fax. The first fax was 18 pages, and we followed their requirements in every possible way. On the return home, they shredded one of my suitcases. I also sent in a claim for that one.

After two months, the bags were returned to us. The suitcases were torn to shreds. Our electronics were also missing. We filed a police report before leaving the airport (where we picked up the bags). I sent a copy of the police report, along with another letter asking what's going on with our file. Still, we didn't hear anything from anyone.

We tried calling the Alitalia office in rome, which they charge for, and we were told that they were opening up files from August at that time. We were in march, so they couldn't even tell us if our faxes went through.

I sent all information, claims and letters to the office in New York AND to the office in rome. I have tried calling the New York office about 20 times from where I am now, in italy. I'm kept on hold by a machine for more time than you can possibly imagine, and then the call is disconnected.

Now we're in NOVEMBER. No one has contacted us at all from Alitalia. I am at my wit's end. They owe us for the damaged bags, the damaged goods, the items we had to buy when we didn't have our bags, and more.

What is this about? Obviously, I would prefer it if I didn't have to pay a lawyer to handle the case. What should I be doing at this point?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2008, 05:56 AM

Did they just totally ignore your final receipts and final total for the missing/stolen items and damaged suitcases? Just keep writing letters to them but send them certified mail (or the equivalent over there) and keep copies of your letters with attachments. If it totals over $1,000 then keep at it with the letter writing. Faxes have a bad habit of getting routed into the trashcan as most pages are missing. A letter with attachments stapled to the letter is much better.

Just keep at it... they will answer eventually. Calling does not work either. Try and find an office with real people and go there with a copy of your letters that you sent and see if you can get somewhere with them.

There are probably a zillion people ahead of you in the lost/stolen suitcase line so you'll just have to be patient and persistent!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 13, 2008, 07:27 AM

Is the amount of damages less than small claims threshold? If so, I would take them to court and have a summons served on the local Alitalia office.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2008, 08:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Is the amount of damages less than small claims threshold? If so, I would take them to court and have a summons served on the local Alitalia office.
    Thanks, scott. I have thought about that, but as I am in italy indefinitely, this could prove very complicated. I don't know if something like that could be done from here, and if I had to fly out to the states to attend court, I don't think it would be worth it. If you think there is a way of doing it, I would be more than happy to hear any ideas.

Twinkie, thank you for your response. One of my biggest concerns is that they could be trying to drag this along until they hit some date in which the case is no longer valid. I have no idea if something like that exists, and I don't know where I could go to find that kind of information. I really don't have much legal experience. :(

I've truly been shocked by the irresponsibility we have faced from Alitalia in every direction. This is a major airline; surely there are thousands upon thousands of other people who are in positions similar to ours. I believe that one of the biggest issues with this company is that it's really trying to be bought out. They don't really care about customer service at this point. If something like that were to happen, or if they decide to claim bankruptcy instead (which is less likely, but still a very viable possibility), would we find ourselves without hope of getting even a penny back?

One of the things that makes this complicated in the first place is that my boyfriend's official residence is in Italy, and mine is in the United States. Alitalia requires that residents of each country file claims with the office of that specific country. The only time I was really able to find a responsible representative by phone (and by pure luck), it was recommended that we file claims in both New York and Rome, which is why we did it that way. Still, we aren't in either city, and we have been told that only people within those two offices can handle our cases--otherwise I would just go there. I am sure there are international airline laws created to protect travelers from being taken advantage of in these ways. I just have no idea where to go for this information.

Also, if we are eventually compensated, do you have any idea if the financial restitution will be limited to covering the receipts, etc. that we have given them, or should we also be receiving something to cover the incredible amount of lost time and frustrations we faced in trying to clothe my boyfriend during our important trip and much needed vacation? As I started explaining in the first post, the real purpose of the trip was taken to attend my father's black tie, three part wedding, which took place in both Miami and New York. It was a MESS for us to run around trying to find a tux and a suit in a matter of hours. It was also a MESS in New York, where we hit the freezing cold without a stitch of appropriate clothing for my boyfriend. The whole thing has been a mess. Whew! Can you tell how frustrated I still am? :)

From the beginning, we have had to waste an enormous amount of time and energy because of how things have been run on their side. As requested by Alitalia, we included a very long and detailed letter explaining the hurdles we had to cross during our trip, so they are aware of each of the relevant details.

Again, thanks for your responses.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 13, 2008, 08:41 AM
    If you are in Italy and their corporate HQ is in Italy, this may make it easier. I would investigate whether the Italian judicial system has something equivalent to small claims court.

If there is a time frame on this it would be for you to file a claim. Since you have already field the claim, that shouldn't be a concern.

You should be reimbursed for the lost and damaged items as well as any costs involved in replacing them. For example, since you had to purchase additional clothes, you should be reimbursed not only for the clothes that were lost, but the expense of replacing them. But, unless you sue, I doubt if you would be reinbused for the frustrations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Numerous Java in add remove programs [ 7 Answers ]

I have Java 2 runtime environment SE V1.4.2_03, Java2 runtime environment 6 update1, J2SE runtime environment 5.0 update 10 and JRSE runtime environment 5.0 update 11 in my add remove programs. I was told by someone on another site that I should uninstall all of these and then get the latest...

How to delete unwanted email from numerous excel file [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I have pressing issue here. I have a list of email address seeking to unsubscribe. But I have 20 Excel database file, how do I use this "unsubscribe" list to compare against this entire 20 file and delete them ? Is there a software, script file available to do it, please advise...

Numerous Erections/Ejaculations [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 18, and the first time I had sex was when I was about 15 with my girlfriend, after that we had sex, when we spent the day together, about 3 or 4 times a day and were together off and on for the next 4 years. My problem is this: I get constant erections, they are stimulated by the slightest...

Wife Passed away with numerous charge card bills [ 2 Answers ]

My wife who died of cancer, over the last few months had charged quite a large sum on different credit cards with family not being aware. I going to assume I am going to be responsible for these bills. She activated numerous cards in my kids, my name and hers using variations of her name. Not...

Toilet Cistern-numerous tries to flush [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I have to crank the flush lever several times before my toilet flushes. A neighbour suggested that the "plastic flap valve" inside te siphon needs replcing. Can anyone confirm if this is the probable cause and if so how would I go about doing this? Any help appreciated. :confused:

View more questions Search