Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jojo_2002_24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 11:41 AM
    Step-parent parental rights
    What parental rights do step-parents have in the state of Illinois?
    08_777444 Posts: 111, Reputation: 16

Nov 12, 2008, 11:57 AM
    As far as adoption, visitation, etc..

Could you be a little more specific?
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 12:51 PM

Yes, you have to be a bit more specific on what you are referring to.

Techincally they have no rights in place of the other parent... ie. A step father does not have the legal rights the bio father has.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2008, 01:52 PM

To try to give you a little more information, some states (like California) recognize a "de-facto" parent status than can give some rights to a person that might not otherwise be there. For example, if the stepparent has been the only parent the child has ever known, looks upon the stepparent as mom or dad, has no relationship with the legal parent (usually bio-parent) then the court might find that that stepparent has a duty of support (we have case law on this). Now, no case in California has gone so far as to find a de facto parent to have custodial rights but most commentators and experts in the field think that it would be reasonable for a court to find such rights, especially if a court were to find a support obligation. So, as to custodial rights vis a vis a stepparent? Maybe.
    dis ek Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 11:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac59 View Post
    To try to give you a little more information, some states (like California) recognize a "de-facto" parent status than can give some rights to a person that might not otherwise be there. For example, if the stepparent has been the only parent the child has ever known, looks upon the stepparent as mom or dad, has no relationship with the legal parent (usually bio-parent) then the court might find that that stepparent has a duty of support (we have case law on this). Now, no case in California has gone so far as to find a de facto parent to have custodial rights but most commentators and experts in the field think that it would be reasonable for a court to find such rights, especially if a court were to find a support obligation. So, as to custodial rights vis a vis a stepparent? Maybe.
    Hi. I made a mistake, piggy backed my answer. Scott-gem linked my questions for me. We are not stepparents, but grandparents, and the children's court placed girl in our foster care after death of our daughter. Father sexually molested her from about 2 years. We have proof, but she was 2 young to testify. Opened the docket again last week. Problem, he hired advocate ad litem, who uses parental alienation syndrome as tactic 2 apply 2 high court 2 take custody away from us, and place her in his parents foster care, where most of abuse took place. Court case 20 nov,2008. I'm a nervous wreck!!
    vanillaface Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 12:36 AM

My ex's wife has been demanding to see my 9 month old son, whom she's only seen twice when he was a newborn. It is her opinion that she has a right as a stepmother to be a big part of his life - but this woman is volatile, unstable and has a history of violence and involved their children in any disputes/fights by subjecting them to foul language and vulgar details/information about things regarding myself & their father. The mediator agreed that it would not be beneficial to bring my son around her.

They currently live in another state, but upon returning I believe they will try to modify the visitation so that they will have my son w/o me present. How can I prevent my son from being in her presence w/o preventing him from seeing his father?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2009, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vanillaface View Post
    My ex's wife has been demanding to see my 9 month old son, whom she's only seen twice when he was a newborn. It is her opinion that she has a right as a stepmother to be a big part of his life - but this woman is volatile, unstable and has a history of violence and involved their children in any disputes/fights by subjecting them to foul language and vulgar details/information about things regarding myself & their father. The mediator agreed that it would not be beneficial to bring my son around her.

They currently live in another state, but upon returning I believe they will try to modify the visitation so that they will have my son w/o me present. How can I prevent my son from being in her presence w/o preventing him from seeing his father?

You go back to Court and attempt to prove she is unfit and a danger to the child. Otherwise the other parent has the same legal right to "expose" the child to anyone he feels is suitable, as do you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Termintating parental rights/step parent adoption [ 3 Answers ]

My husband of 2 years wants to adopt my two children. He and I have one child together. The non custodial parent will never consent. We are actually going to court for permission to move out of state, because the non custodial parent contested that, as well. We want to file a petition to have the...

What rights does a parent give when they sign over parental rights? [ 2 Answers ]

When I was 16 my mom signed over her parental rights, I am now 23 and have a kid. What rights to her grand kid does she have?

What if I am not Bio Parent and I relinquish my parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

What if I am not the bio parent and I want to relinquish my parental rights. My x-wife is accepting money from the girls fathers... yes "we" have 2 daughters and she is accepts money from their fathers. She takes vacations with them, accepts gifts from them for the girls. And I am stuck with the...

Parental Rights for non-biological parent [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend is going through a very difficult divorce. Currently he works very long hours and we only have one car between the two of us. He has 2 year old twins and he pays $300 per week in child support. He is only off on Tuesdays and Saturdays, but I need the car for work on Tuesdays. Which...

Child abandonment/ termination of parental rights/ step mother adoption ? [ 2 Answers ]

MY husbands exwife give birth to his(our) daughter in Feb of 2006. He was in Iraq and she did not notify him of the birth. She was using crystal meth and the baby was born addicted. Someone notified the red cross after seeing her military ID and a month later my husband found out. The baby went...

View more questions Search