Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dave5150 Posts: 39, Reputation: 5

Jun 19, 2006, 05:57 PM
    Hay fever
    I've had hay fever since I was about 18. It isn't quite as bad now but still there. Has anyone ever outgrown it or does it tend to last for life?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2006, 06:33 PM
    It tends to last for life, but the effects become much less severe.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2006, 06:50 PM
    My father has outgrown it but he's in his 70's. Many allergies can leave your system but, to even the score, you can also pick up new ones ("late onset").

From here:
    "Hay fever commonly appears around the age 11-12, the symptoms usually peak in the 20's and early 30's then gradually disappear. However, more and more people are beginning to experience hay fever for the first time in their 30's."
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2006, 03:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dave5150
    I've had hay fever since I was about 18. It isn't quite as bad now but still there. Has anyone ever outgrown it or does it tend to last for life?
    Same here, I started getting hay fever from the age of 19.

When I lived in england it was the pollen that started it for me, then I was blessed with hayfever... not :(
    Dust does it to me too. Its very very annoying
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2006, 03:58 AM
    I have a feeling that hay fever and dust allergy are linked (I have both too). Our spouses are lucky, the house will always be well vacuumed. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 22, 2006, 06:38 AM
    I have hay fever and dust allergies also. It seems like I tend to get accustomed to it if I stay in my home town, but if I leave (like now I am 600 miles from home) I have a bad problem getting used to the new surroundings.

I just take benadryl for the sneezing and itching and sudafed for the stuffy nose. Other things are on the market, but these work the best for me.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2006, 08:15 AM
    Hi,
    Hay fever can or may not be, a lifetime. It's an allergy, as others have said. And, as another said, it changes. At 64, I find I start "eye watering" when in a closed "newly constructed" building, from the glue smells, possibly in the carpeting.
    Nasonex is another good prescription medication, but as others, works for some, not everyone. Benedryl is good, too, as mentioned.
    Best wishes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 yr old with fever [ 2 Answers ]

My 3 year old has been running a temperature for the past couple of days. Motrin does help keep it down, but I'm concerned because he keeps complaing of having something in his mouth. Periodically he will start wimpering and tell me "get it out mama" and when I tell him that nothing is in his...

Starve a fever, feed a cold? [ 1 Answers ]

Been doing a search online about this. Is it just an old wives tale or is there any truth to this?

View more questions Search