Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wanttobeamom1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 08:17 AM
    Child custody
    I have been given an opportunity to take in a new born child. The mother and father of the child have been told by the courts that they can not have children. She became pregnant and would like for me to take the child and raise her. They had mentioned that I would not have to sp[end the money on adoption. Is this legal? What do I need to know before I go into this? How do I know that the child would not be taken from me at any given time?
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 09:19 AM

You need to contact an adoption attorney in your area and go over what needs to be done.

While you may not have to pay the fees that you would at an acutal adoption agency, you will still have to pay for an adoption attorney... as one is required.

I would call around your area and see who offers free consultations and set some appts to talk to a few different attorney's. Get plans of action and what they are going to charge... as it can vary greatly between attorney's.

(for example, for my husband to adopt my daughter, with consent from the bio father, so not contested... one attorney told me he charged $1000.00 and I needed it all up front before he would start anything. I went to another attorney and he said he charges $500 and only needed half of the money to get started and then the rest by the time we filed.)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 12, 2008, 09:21 AM

Don't trust them. Without a court order stating that you are the legal parent, the child could be taken from you at any time.
    div2wice Posts: 103, Reputation: 1
    -

Nov 14, 2008, 12:43 PM
    I agree although it seems so simple and easy, it has to be legal. If they don't sign over their parental rights, and you "adopt' or take care of this child they can come at any time and remove the child from your care.
    Go about it the right way. Have them sign over their parental rights, then file adoption papers and file them at the court house. This will make it legal and you will officially be the legal parent of this child.
    Without the documents, you're taking a huge risk, and really putting the child at risk as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support and Child Custody [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering If child support and child custody are the same. I have a six year old daughter and I want to see her badly but her mother is holding child support over my head. I'm not saying she shouldn't but I have given her money on many occasions and for a year consitantly. Yet she refuses to...

Father seeking child custody of an unborn child [ 8 Answers ]

How can I get partial custody to my unborn child? The mother refusing to name me as the father. I know I can file after the baby is born, but I want to be there for the birth of my child.

Child Custody [ 9 Answers ]

Hi My name is Lydia and my son and girlfriend and their daughter had moved into our house, There was fighting all the time so I kicked his girlfriend out of our house and told her that their daughter and my son could stay, she took their daughter with her when she moved out and then decided...

I want to give custody of my unborn child to the father before the child is born [ 2 Answers ]

I am pregnant and wish to give custody to the father before the child is born

Child custody of an unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

My question is concerning my sister, she moved to this state I live in now, only a year ago,to live with me, she got pregnant by some guy she was seeing, when he started beating her up she left him,(she was only 2 months pregnant at this time) now she's 7 months pregnant and we are moving back...

View more questions Search