Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dave22357 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 06:55 AM
    Serial # for manufactured home
    Looking to refinance modular home but like other questions asked I'm in Minnesota with no serial # or title available would the dmv have records?
    Eileen1218 Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Nov 12, 2008, 04:23 PM
    I live in a modular and the serial number is located on the inside door of the circuit breaker
    Box. There are various info papers glued there and the serial number is quite small and kind of discreet. I hope you can locate yours as well.

Good Luck!;)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2008, 05:10 PM

A modular home usually does have a serial number from the factory but a true modular does not have a title like a manufactured home does. A true modular cannot be put onto piers and concrete blocks such as would happen in a mobile home park. A true modular must be placed on a full basement or an approved crawl space. The MSO original paperwork from the manufacturer on a modular is turned over to the county and the county "marries" the home into the property as real estate. Your home should have a deed like any other site built or stick built home has. A manufactured home or HUD Code home has the steel frame still attached to it even if it is on a basement. A Modular home has no steel frame under it as the frame is returned to the factory. It has a completely different floor system than a HUD code home. A modular is built to State Code Standards such as as a site built home.

You may have a problem refinancing your home. If you can't find a regular lender to refinance your home you might try a specialized lender who understands modulars that are on basements with land.

I work for a manufactured/modular home dealer in Ohio and know that to refinance a modular a lot of banks don't understand the true modulars and won't finance or refinance them but a few specialized lenders will do this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Manufactured home [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a neighborhood where houses go for between$700,000 -$1,000,000+ range in the Bay Area.Would there be something wrong with having a pre-fab house built on my lot?Would it diminish the value of the house vs. a traditional constructed house?I need to tear down my house in the future and...

Repossession of Manufactured Home [ 4 Answers ]

I co-signed for someone to purchase a MH. Long story short-The lending company (Green Tree) called me. The person in the MH is 3 months behind and they wanted me to pay the amount. I told them(GreenTree) that if the payments aren't being paid then go get the MH. The rep from Green Tree then told me...

Mobile home serial number [ 1 Answers ]

I am selling a 1 bedroom mobile home. Buyer wants a title insurance. ID on home required. No ID tag on unit found. Only tag is seal on entrance door with the letters MGVV CERTIFIED MHMA/TCA REGISTERED 2614411 As a last resort I am...

Mobil home serial number for a title [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sir we are trying to sell out older great lakes mobil home there never has been a title for it. The person we bought it from gave us a bill of sale 14 yrs ago the motor vehicle dept wants a serial number we have searched the home top to bottom inside out there is none what we have found is a...

Manufactured home in my [ 6 Answers ]

We own a 1999 Skyline Woodfield home, we purchased it new in 1999. We are the sole owners, and have been trying for years to sell it, move it... rent it! NO LUCK-- We found land last year, and tried getting it moved to land ( it is land ready) No bank will finance it saying it won't appraise...

View more questions Search