Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skyrocket Away Posts: 173, Reputation: 6

Nov 12, 2008, 04:56 AM
    Anyone know what year these might be from?
    Hello, about 3 years ago I was in my grandmothers basement in NY. My mother and I stumbled across these rather old looking baby food jars. The jars say it's from "Beech-nut." I was just curious to know maybe what year these are from? The jar doesn't label any type of date or anything, so, Any help would be great! Here's a photo of one of the jars. VVV :):)

(Sorry the quality of the photo isn't that great. My camera is kind of... broken. Lol)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 10:31 PM

Hi, Skyrocket Away!

I'm sorry that no one has yet come along to address your question!

According to what's on the following site, Beech-Nut started to produce baby food in 1931.

Beech-Nut Nutrition Corporation -- Company History

What is below, is quoted from that site.

Company Perspectives:
    Beech-Nut has been feeding babies like yours since 1931. We consider it a special privilege, a trust. So from the beginning, we've been an industry innovator. Our company's goal has always been to develop and market superior products. We pride ourselves on using the highest quality, all natural ingredients to create great-tasting and nutritious items. If a product doesn't exceed our expectations, we won't sell it.

Key Dates:
    1890: The Imperial Packing Co.--the predecessor to Beech-Nut--is founded by five residents of Canajoharie, New York.
    1899: The company incorporates as Beech-Nut Packing Company.
    1905: The company grosses $1 million per year upon the success of its jarred bacon.
    1910: Beech-Nut enters the gum business.
    1931: Strained baby foods are launched.
    1956: The company merges with Life Savers Corp.
    1968: The firm merges with pharmaceutical giant ER Squibb & Sons.
    1973: Squibb sells the Beech-Nut baby food line to a three-man partnership.
    1979: Beech-Nut is sold to Nestlé S.A.
    1982: The firm recalls its apple juice.
    1986: The company and two of its executives are indicted on 470 counts of violating the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act for selling adulterated apple products.
    1989: Ralston Purina Co. purchases Beech-Nut.
    1994: Ralston spins off its human food businesses as Ralcorp Holdings Inc.
    1998: The Milnot Company acquires Beech-Nut.
    2001: H.J. Heinz Co. and Milnot abandon merger plans.

From the looks of the label on the jar in the image and comparing it to other antique jars for various things that I have and have seen elsewhere, and considering the over-all style of the label and lettering, I would say that it's from the 1930's.

Thanks!
    Skyrocket Away Posts: 173, Reputation: 6

Nov 20, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, Skyrocket Away!

I'm sorry that no one has yet come along to address your question!

According to what's on the following site, Beech-Nut started to produce baby food in 1931.

Beech-Nut Nutrition Corporation -- Company History

What is below, is quoted from that site.

Company Perspectives:
    Beech-Nut has been feeding babies like yours since 1931. We consider it a special privilege, a trust. So from the beginning, we've been an industry innovator. Our company's goal has always been to develop and market superior products. We pride ourselves on using the highest quality, all natural ingredients to create great-tasting and nutritious items. If a product doesn't exceed our expectations, we won't sell it.

Key Dates:
    1890: The Imperial Packing Co.--the predecessor to Beech-Nut--is founded by five residents of Canajoharie, New York.
    1899: The company incorporates as Beech-Nut Packing Company.
    1905: The company grosses $1 million per year upon the success of its jarred bacon.
    1910: Beech-Nut enters the gum business.
    1931: Strained baby foods are launched.
    1956: The company merges with Life Savers Corp.
    1968: The firm merges with pharmaceutical giant ER Squibb & Sons.
    1973: Squibb sells the Beech-Nut baby food line to a three-man partnership.
    1979: Beech-Nut is sold to Nestlé S.A.
    1982: The firm recalls its apple juice.
    1986: The company and two of its executives are indicted on 470 counts of violating the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act for selling adulterated apple products.
    1989: Ralston Purina Co. purchases Beech-Nut.
    1994: Ralston spins off its human food businesses as Ralcorp Holdings Inc.
    1998: The Milnot Company acquires Beech-Nut.
    2001: H.J. Heinz Co. and Milnot abandon merger plans.

From the looks of the label on the jar in the image and comparing it to other antique jars for various things that I have and have seen elsewhere, and considering the over-all style of the label and lettering, I would say that it's from the 1930's.

Thanks!

Thanks so much! That helped a lot. (:
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2008, 08:50 AM

Your very welcome, Skyrocket Away! I'm glad that the information was helpful to you!

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent increase percentage cap for New jersey year to year [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am signing a lease for another year with my landlord but he wants to increase the rent 15% for the new year. Is there a cap on the increase for raising rent. This is for a house, not an apartment. Thanks!

Full year resident alien part year treaty [ 1 Answers ]

My country has a tax treaty with US. I came on J1 visa in September 2005 and got the benefit of the tax treaty till August 2007. And since September 2007 my taxes are being with held. I am considered as full year resident alien since Januarary 2007. Which tax form I need to fill up and where to...

Calendar Year or Fiscal Year for H1b Visa Holders? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I would be going to the US on an H1B, accompanied with my wife and two kids (all on H4). Tax experts could you please answer the following doubts of mine: 1. For individuals on H1B, the only selection of tax year is a calendar tax year, right? 2. If I reach US somewhere on Oct 1 2007, I...

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

View more questions Search